Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2012, 11:58 PM
Rookie

Default New Build: Sandy X79/Rampage IV Extreme VS Ivy Z77/Maximus V Extreme . . .

I am building a much needed new computer for work . . . I will be using 2 monitors, HD video editing (Adobe Production Premium/Premiere Pro), flight simulator (I'm a pilot) and for work have 75+ web and Word/Excel/PDF windows open for many days on end writing and researching.

I was all set to go with the Z77 Ivy Bridge--i7 3770K 3.5/3.9GHz Turbo QuadCore 8MB L3 Cache and Asus Maximus V-Extreme Mobo . . . and as an aside I appreciated the Maximus V Extreme's onboard WIFI and Thunderbolt.

At the last second, I became curious about X79 Sandy Bridge-E and Asus Rampage IV Extreme Mobo . . . with this combination I could probably only afford the X79 Sandy Bridge--i7 3820 3.6/3.9 GHz Turbo QuadCore (10MB L3 Cache) . . . still isn't this at least comparable if not faster with more cache than Z77's i7 3770K? While I at first thought I could in the future upgrade to the X79's i7 3930K 3.2/3.8 GHz Turbo HexCore (12MB L3 Cache) . . . I soon realized that next year at this time I might also have the opportunity to use the anticipated Ivy Bridge-E on the Rampage IV Extreme Mobo . . . possibly a more capable upgrade consideration if needed--whereas the Z77 and it's Mobo will probably never be upgradeable (however, not necesarily essential if proves dependable and meets needs for next 3 years or so).

The question I have is, given the X79--i7 3820/ Rampage IV Extreme combination is literally within a few dollars of the Z77--i7 3770/Maximus V Extreme combination which is the best way to go?!? Given the X79/Rampage hosts twice the RAM and has 40 lanes to the Z77's 16 lanes this sounds positive even though both the processor and mobo are technically "older" so have a few older technologies. As an aside, the X79/Rampage IV unfortunately lacks needed onboard WIFI (so this represents an additional expense) and Thunderbolt) . . .

1. Which would be the most dependable, best performing and smartest way to go?
2. What are there any negatives/positives to going with the X79 i7 3820/Rampage combination over the Z77 i7 3930K/Maximus combination (such as performance, lack of features or older specs/technologies) and/or conversly the negatives/positives to choosing to go with the original plan of the Z77 i7 3930K/Maximus over the X79 i7 3820/Rampage?
3. What am I missing and what else should I be considering in this decision?

I will be running a single 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GTX 680 at first and possibly later adding a second . . . will be liquid cooling my CPU and using a 650D case.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by Questtt3; October 18, 2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old October 18, 2012, 01:18 AM
Top Prospect

Ivy Bridge is a great chip and actually out-performs the Sandy Bridge-E Core i7-3820 by roughly 9 % due to a more efficient architecture, clock for clock Ivy wins. However, a quad core will not outperform a hexa-core such as the 3930k when it comes to content creation jobs that can stress more than four cores (video editing, encoding, etc). If you compute for a living, a hexa core is worth it.
Old October 20, 2012, 03:18 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceBooth View Post
Ivy Bridge is a great chip and actually out-performs the Sandy Bridge-E Core i7-3820 by roughly 9 % due to a more efficient architecture, clock for clock Ivy wins. However, a quad core will not outperform a hexa-core such as the 3930k when it comes to content creation jobs that can stress more than four cores (video editing, encoding, etc). If you compute for a living, a hexa core is worth it.
Thanks BryceBooth . . . this is very helpful! Sounds like, apart from the extra money the Sandy Bridge-E is the better direction for it will do everything Ivy Bridge will do and more . . . especially in the practical applications I need (HD video editing, flight simulator (w/ large rendering requirements), and work) . . . yes?

I initialy thought I might go with the i7 3820 to save a bit of money now and maybe later put it towards an upgrade to Ivy Bridge Extreme at some future date. However, as you said the i7 3930K 6 core would give me much greater performance--perhaps thus making a future upgrade less necessary. Also, with the odd release dates (Haswell coming out early spring and IBE not till early summer . . . if this holds true)--this timing maybe gives more credibility to those rumors that IBE may NOT make it to market. Either way, it seems that spending the extra $200 for the i7 3930K Hexcore over the i7 3820 Quadcore(although painful now on top of all the other components) should at least give me a more solid computing experience currently--not create an "IBE biding time" feeling. I mean, perhaps more to the point, if IBE DOES come out, I may not even see the benefit to "upgrading" for my purposes . . . and if it doesn't come out, I would hate to then feel the need to then buy the 3930K after already shelling out for the i7 3820. So . . . looks like the X79 SBE i7 3930K is the way to go.

Is this good reasoning?

Thanks!

Last edited by Questtt3; October 20, 2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old October 20, 2012, 08:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd agree with your reasoning. Your needs are asking for the extra cores.