Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2012, 06:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Will Motherboard Manufacturers release a new chipset for Piledriver this year?

I have been looking everywhere on the internet if motherboard manufacturers will release a new AMD chip-set this year or early next year to coincide with the release of Piledriver (Desktop version).

I kind a want the new features that Intel currently have. But I'm only waiting for Piledriver's benchmarks once they release it. If Piledriver meets the expectations I might stay with AMD if not, I will have my first Intel desktop since Pentium 3.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What features does intel have that AMD does not other than RST?
Old October 11, 2012, 06:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
What features does intel have that AMD does not other than RST?
PCI express 3.0 (which I know there is little difference with 2.0), Newer chipset and yes RST. I think I only want new stuff in general. Kind a jealous with my other friends who has Intel Ivy and a new platform compared to my aging 1100T.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:15 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The answer is...no.

Most 990FX motherboards already support Piledriver's microcode with their newest BIOS files. PCI-E 3.0 is certainly not necessary.

RST is an Intel technology. What would AMD possibly do with it?
Old October 11, 2012, 07:50 AM
Allstar

I purchase another Intel because I need RST ( I already have the Intel 40 GB SSD, and frankly I see no differences in real application between RST and a SSD as OS drive ) But If I will not have the 40 GB SSD I will have purchase another AMD board and a 120 GB SSD.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

OP, you seem to attach a negative connotation towards not having a chipset. I assure you, it's good news. All of us (myself included) who bought 9-series chipset motherboards and then upon seeing reviews did not upgrade to bulldozer (choosing instead to run our existing phenom IIs) will be able to simply drop in a new Vishera chip...depending on reviews, of course.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old October 11, 2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
I purchase another Intel because I need RST ( I already have the Intel 40 GB SSD, and frankly I see no differences in real application between RST and a SSD as OS drive ) But If I will not have the 40 GB SSD I will have purchase another AMD board and a 120 GB SSD.
Another option is a 32GB / 64GB kit of memory and AMD's RAMDisk.

In addition, other company's cache drives (Corsair Accelerator, OCZ's Synapse, etc.) which all come with their own software which can be used on AMD's systems.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Another option is a 32GB / 64GB kit of memory and AMD's RAMDisk.

In addition, other company's cache drives (Corsair Accelerator, OCZ's Synapse, etc.) which all come with their own software which can be used on AMD's systems.
Maybe I missed it in the review, but I didn't come away with a clear picture of whether the RAMDisk function is a hardware based feature, or just a software based feature locked to AMD specific hardware. Is there actual coding built into the new APUs for this feature?

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old October 11, 2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Maybe I missed it in the review, but I didn't come away with a clear picture of whether the RAMDisk function is a hardware based feature, or just a software based feature locked to AMD specific hardware. Is there actual coding built into the new APUs for this feature?
I'll expand that section shortly.

Essentially, it is a software solution.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:45 AM
Banned

Simply put no.

There where reports/info that 10xx series chipset is being pushed back to a 13' timeframe. Futher rumor was steamroller was gonna be pushed out with the 10xx series chipset ... but word is nor AM3+ will also suposivly do steamroller as well.

My guess the reality is as well with DDR4 becoming so close to market that 10xx series chipsets are being held back to make a change over to DDR4, possibly Sata Express (double to quad pumped Sata interface) & other things.

Remember for awhile AMD (well mainly Ati at the time) did have a powerfull chipset that ran on both intel/amd cpu's & where seen that the cpu's itself where what held the chipsets back from seeing there full power potential. To me ... this is what I feel amd needs to do in combination with the cpu side of things to bring some competition back to intel.

Tags
amd , asus motherboard , intel