Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Will Motherboard Manufacturers release a new chipset for Piledriver this year? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/57199-will-motherboard-manufacturers-release-new-chipset-piledriver-year.html)

Avenger212 October 11, 2012 06:11 AM

Will Motherboard Manufacturers release a new chipset for Piledriver this year?

I have been looking everywhere on the internet if motherboard manufacturers will release a new AMD chip-set this year or early next year to coincide with the release of Piledriver (Desktop version).

I kind a want the new features that Intel currently have. But I'm only waiting for Piledriver's benchmarks once they release it. If Piledriver meets the expectations I might stay with AMD if not, I will have my first Intel desktop since Pentium 3.

supaflyx3 October 11, 2012 06:15 AM

What features does intel have that AMD does not other than RST?

Avenger212 October 11, 2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supaflyx3 (Post 661337)
What features does intel have that AMD does not other than RST?

PCI express 3.0 (which I know there is little difference with 2.0), Newer chipset and yes RST. I think I only want new stuff in general. Kind a jealous with my other friends who has Intel Ivy and a new platform compared to my aging 1100T.

SKYMTL October 11, 2012 07:15 AM

The answer is...no.

Most 990FX motherboards already support Piledriver's microcode with their newest BIOS files. PCI-E 3.0 is certainly not necessary.

RST is an Intel technology. What would AMD possibly do with it?

botat29 October 11, 2012 07:50 AM

I purchase another Intel because I need RST ( I already have the Intel 40 GB SSD, and frankly I see no differences in real application between RST and a SSD as OS drive ) But If I will not have the 40 GB SSD I will have purchase another AMD board and a 120 GB SSD.

great_big_abyss October 11, 2012 07:51 AM

OP, you seem to attach a negative connotation towards not having a chipset. I assure you, it's good news. All of us (myself included) who bought 9-series chipset motherboards and then upon seeing reviews did not upgrade to bulldozer (choosing instead to run our existing phenom IIs) will be able to simply drop in a new Vishera chip...depending on reviews, of course.

SKYMTL October 11, 2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botat29 (Post 661353)
I purchase another Intel because I need RST ( I already have the Intel 40 GB SSD, and frankly I see no differences in real application between RST and a SSD as OS drive ) But If I will not have the 40 GB SSD I will have purchase another AMD board and a 120 GB SSD.

Another option is a 32GB / 64GB kit of memory and AMD's RAMDisk.

In addition, other company's cache drives (Corsair Accelerator, OCZ's Synapse, etc.) which all come with their own software which can be used on AMD's systems.

sswilson October 11, 2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 661357)
Another option is a 32GB / 64GB kit of memory and AMD's RAMDisk.

In addition, other company's cache drives (Corsair Accelerator, OCZ's Synapse, etc.) which all come with their own software which can be used on AMD's systems.

Maybe I missed it in the review, but I didn't come away with a clear picture of whether the RAMDisk function is a hardware based feature, or just a software based feature locked to AMD specific hardware. Is there actual coding built into the new APUs for this feature?

SKYMTL October 11, 2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 661365)
Maybe I missed it in the review, but I didn't come away with a clear picture of whether the RAMDisk function is a hardware based feature, or just a software based feature locked to AMD specific hardware. Is there actual coding built into the new APUs for this feature?

I'll expand that section shortly.

Essentially, it is a software solution.

terrybear October 11, 2012 08:45 AM

Simply put no.

There where reports/info that 10xx series chipset is being pushed back to a 13' timeframe. Futher rumor was steamroller was gonna be pushed out with the 10xx series chipset ... but word is nor AM3+ will also suposivly do steamroller as well.

My guess the reality is as well with DDR4 becoming so close to market that 10xx series chipsets are being held back to make a change over to DDR4, possibly Sata Express (double to quad pumped Sata interface) & other things.

Remember for awhile AMD (well mainly Ati at the time) did have a powerfull chipset that ran on both intel/amd cpu's & where seen that the cpu's itself where what held the chipsets back from seeing there full power potential. To me ... this is what I feel amd needs to do in combination with the cpu side of things to bring some competition back to intel.