Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2012, 08:36 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default AMD Trinity A10-5800K APU Review COMMENT THREAD; FINALLY!

People have been asking for it and our A10-5800K review is finally here. I apologize for the delay on this one but I wanted to avoid a half-assed review and give the architecture the time it deserved.

AMD's Trinity architecture and its flagship A10-5800K represent the next evolutionary step of AMD's Fusion initiative. By effectively combining Piledriver CPU cores, updated integrated graphics designs and a price of only $130, AMD is hoping this new desktop Trinity APU finds some traction within a highly competitive market.

Read more here: AMD Trinity A10-5800K APU Review

Enjoy guys.
Old October 10, 2012, 09:31 PM
MVP

APUs are pretty much the only processors I'll purchase these days, unless I can get a wicked deal on the higher end stuff or Intel CPUs and motherboard.
An unlocked quadcore APU with decent graphics and a decent motherboard, all for sub $150 is an amazing value (FM1). The rest of a budget can goes towards something more useful like an SSD or a better video card. CPU should really be your last concern unless you have a specific reason for it.

That said, FM2 prices are pretty high up right now due to it being just released. The value isn't that great considering it's performance improvement and price over its predecessor.
Old October 11, 2012, 04:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

So AMD is continuing on with their "build it and they will come" approach? I suppose now all of the fanbois will come in and complain that tests which use the older (removed) instruction sets are unfair to AMD and we need to only use tests which showcase AMD's choice of direction.

Maybe that "good enough is good enough" op-ed piece should have prepared us for what looks like to once again be lower performance that their own previous gen proc.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old October 11, 2012, 06:33 AM
MVP

Very intensive review and well done. Incredibly disappointed by the FM2 architecture as well. Incredible value for an APU but I find it very disturbing that the CPU performance is so bad. The newest generation of chips are an actual downgrades from chips they produced back in 2008/2009 (Deneb cores). I had similiar results with my A10, was able to reach a stable 4.71Ghz at 1.5v but the performance was as much as 20% slower than Deneb core chips at the same speed.

Some of it might be the RAM since there seems to be issues with overclocking the memory on the chips. I'm hoping its just an immature BIOS issue/lack of experience since the same set of RAM I used on Llano to get to 2800 I wasn't even able to reach 2200 which is below the rated for the sticks.

My first impression of the A10 is disappointment from a performance side but still gets a thumbs up for value and I suppose hitting their market niche dead on. Here is hoping it likes the cold and can see some good scaling at the higher speeds.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, I don't feel as bad as I did, having recently bought a Llano APU for the kid's rig. I do wish I had went trinity for the simple fact that there's an upgrade path with FM2...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old October 11, 2012, 09:24 AM
Banned

" When looking at the A10-5800Ks benchmark numbers without an open mind, youll likely see processor that lacks performance consistency which is paired up with some impressive graphics capabilities. However, there is much more to this equation than a strict separation of CPU and GPU tasks. In many ways Trinity is a step in the right direction and its architecture represents a giant leap ahead for the viability of a truly heterogeneous computing environment. We cant wait to see what the next generation will bring. "

Hit it right on the head there Sky if you ask me

As much as peaple want to call me/label me a "fanboy" of the amd side of things ...... I've NEVER been a person to look at how a cpu preforms with "OLD" software. There are RARE instances where software gets used for decades in like a "legacy" standard .... one of those is accounting as i have a bud whom is a non "cga certified" accountant with 19+ yrs experience has told me about MANY small to mid level accounting firms still using old versions of quickbooks.

This mentality/mindset of basing preformance on old software/stands reminds me of those folks whom load up 3dmark 06 to see how high of a score they can get now ...

Simply put .... processor companies SHOULD be building for forward technoligies & not backwards ones (like mmx is there anything that actualy uses this extention anymore?) so to me this is amd doing smarter thinking then not smarter.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
This mentality/mindset of basing preformance on old software/stands reminds me of those folks whom load up 3dmark 06 to see how high of a score they can get now ...

Simply put .... processor companies SHOULD be building for forward technoligies & not backwards ones (like mmx is there anything that actualy uses this extention anymore?) so to me this is amd doing smarter thinking then not smarter.
There is a small issue with this stance. On one hand, it is great that AMD has built in support for the latest generation of AVX, XOP, SSE3+ and other extensions in order to save on die space. HOWEVER, not including legacy support is like NVIDIA building a DX11 card with support for DX9 but lacking optimizations. Sure, there are quite a few DX11 titles on the market and there will be a TON more in the next 2 years or so but currently, DX9 rules the roost.

Like it or not, consumers don't have the money or willingness to run out every second, third or even fourth year and buy a new version of their most-used software. So here, in some ways, AMD is turning a blind eye to what's currently available and instead focusing on the future. At face value it is a laudable goal but the reality is that many people's software choices still use older extensions.

I still use MS Office 2007, Photoshop CS4, AutoCAD 2006 and other programs I am still perfectly happy with. Would I spend the thousands necessary for program upgrades if I bought a Trinity APU? Of course not since that would completely defeat the purpose of a budget-friendly system build.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:55 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Exactly Sky. AMD would have had a lot more traction with this stance IF they had the performance crown. They dont. They have not had it for numerous generations (939 X2 days were the last they could claim this). Rightly or wrongly, when people think AMD...they think budget builds. Budget builds are by their very nature meant to save money...yet AMD expects consumers to spend a fortune on new software just so they can use their cheaper gear. This is not an optimal solution. Most people will vote with their wallets and go with the slightly more expensive Intel gear...and save money overall.

Trinity is a trifecta of terrible. It requires a new platform, new software and STILL is power hungry. What. Were. They. Thinking?

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 11, 2012, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It was certainly an interesting read. The half-baked support for older instruction sets is something I didn't see in the early reviews, so it's great you pointed it out. I'd hate to see CPU-based PhysX games on Trinity given that PhysX uses x87 instructions almost exclusively.

Computing is increasingly going towards heterogeneous processing in the server, embedded and mobile space but I think AMD is really moving faster than the desktop software market and they're suffering because of it. I'm sure the reviews would be singing a completely different song if we had games that use as many threads as you can throw at them and all software offloading SIMD to GPGPU or SSE4a and the like. (Although even then I question that lack of L3 cache which I'm sure is crippling at least the gaming benchmarks...)

I compare this to Windows Vista where they added DirectX 10 and increased security only to cripple existing hardware, break a lot of software, and piss off a whole bunch of users. Unlike Vista however, at least the older stuff will still run despite not looking pretty... I wonder if AMD can ride it out on these current architectures until either the software catches up or they have to make revisions to make the legacy stuff not quite as bad (e.g. smaller node that allows them to re-add optimized execution units). Yep that's right, I'm calling Bulldozer / Trinity the Vista of CPUs
Old October 11, 2012, 11:54 AM

I wouldn't call Trinity terrible. It uses an architecture that deserves a whole lot of credit for its adaptability to many situations. I would actually call it the Swiss Army knife of the computer industry. It is excellent at doing a few things and not quite optimal at doing many others but regardless of the situation you find yourself in, it will always step up to the task.