Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2012, 12:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Day traders need quadcore, 8GB at least, SSD and fibreoptic connection (Bell Fibe 175/175).
Intel i7-3770
Kingstone HyperX 2 x 8GB
Crucial M4 256GB + 128 GB
Sapphire Radeon HD7970
Nec Multisync LCD2690WUXI
Old October 11, 2012, 01:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd imagine that viewing dynamic real-time graphs / quotes across multiple browsers would be quite a resource hog. Ideally, you'd be better off with some form of app that will display everything you need on one screen rather than having a separate browser instance for each.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 11, 2012, 03:42 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 486 View Post
Day traders need quadcore, 8GB at least, SSD and fibreoptic connection (Bell Fibe 175/175).
I completely fail to see how a quadcore is necessary. He's not the exchange's server. He's simply getting data from those servers.

It doesn't take a quad-core to render a couple of graph lines (or 2000 of them even).
Old October 11, 2012, 06:04 PM
Top Prospect

Funny, I seem get by just fine with my pentium dual-core and 4gb ram which I was trading with back then.

Unless you do HFTs (in which case consumer hardware isn't even viable anymore) it's really not that demanding. OP's computer is just too old to even perform basic tasks smoothly.
Old October 16, 2012, 06:18 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
I completely fail to see how a quadcore is necessary. He's not the exchange's server. He's simply getting data from those servers.

It doesn't take a quad-core to render a couple of graph lines (or 2000 of them even).
i invest in commodities and watch some of the miners. with that plus computer stuff i might have 50 browser windows open in Firefox and 50 in another browser.

in day-trading - or any kind of trading - you need to be able to research companies & other investment options quickly and efficiently. that means opening window after window quickly.

my hex-core gets bogged down under these conditions.

sometimes i have to re-boot and it might take 10 minutes to get everything re-set-up. my wireless connection is about 1.5 Mbps (bits not Bytes).

especially in more volatile markets, 10 minutes is an eternity. you can have humongous price spikes & dips and miss the buying opportunity of the day, in 10 minutes.

personally, i love getting The Low Price of the Day. i manage it on about 1 of every 6 investment purchases.

for a cost-conscious system buyer, the AMD Phenom 965 is a great CPU buy. $100, thereby facilitating a good $500 system (i mean, for the box) that could drive 2 monitors.

for a day trader, i would also suggest having a back-up computer on the same network, because the #1 computer will eventually freeze or BSOD or something at the wrong moment, and it takes all the fun out of it.

much better to just say, "no problem", jump to the other computer, & seize the opportunity.
Old October 16, 2012, 04:20 PM
Allstar

your hex-core gets bogged down as in it runs 6 threads at '100%' usage? i'm just wondering because those operations you described are IO-bound operations. ESPECIALLY the opening firefox one. also memory-space bound above certain scales.

also, do you mean actual browser windows or tabs?

NOTE: firefox is one of the best browsers for 'highly demanding' scenarios by virtue of the massive amount of easily configurable settings and extensions.

source: web developer that uses at 3-4 browsers open at the same time with 3-4 pages on each one, except for firefox, which generally has 100-200 tabs (at least half of them active) and on occasion, 400.
Old October 18, 2012, 06:50 AM
Rookie

Quote:
your hex-core gets bogged down as in it runs 6 threads at '100%' usage? i'm just wondering because those operations you described are IO-bound operations. ESPECIALLY the opening firefox one. also memory-space bound above certain scales.

also, do you mean actual browser windows or tabs?

NOTE: firefox is one of the best browsers for 'highly demanding' scenarios by virtue of the massive amount of easily configurable settings and extensions.

source: web developer that uses at 3-4 browsers open at the same time with 3-4 pages on each one, except for firefox, which generally has 100-200 tabs (at least half of them active) and on occasion, 400.
the open windows are mostly 'static' - not live feeds, just containing background info, Blender tutorials, 1 or 2 Youtube windows (not playing, except maybe after lunch).

it's a good guess (bandwidth) - certainly relevant when i re-start the browsers for 5 to 10 minutes while everything re-loads.

in my case, i'm using a 4850 1 GB video card. i think that might be the bottleneck.

i have a bunch of photos & *.jpg's to go through, so i use Windows 7 with the preview pane. there is a noticeable delay, i click on the file, the preview pane updates about a second later.

i just ordered a 6670 video card and am about to order a 550, both with 1 GB. i think that will help with my particle effects work and general systems performances.
Old October 18, 2012, 01:46 PM
Allstar

what does your storage system look like?
Old October 18, 2012, 04:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
what does your storage system look like?
256 GB Crucial M4 SSD for C drive.

another 256 GB Crucial M4 SSD mapped to the directory "user desktop" - my main working directory.

2 TB Samsung EcoGreen hard drive to store my "Hairball". i like that term, Marc Andreessen used it to describe Windows.

i.e. just for regular old file archiving, and also for tmp files for renderings. a mixture of video files, educational videos for CAD programs, misc. writings & scribblings & doodlings. thousands of news articles & a few hundred history books. sort of a library i guess, but not very organized.

thank God for "Agent Ransack" - what i use to find files.