Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 4, 2012, 08:04 PM
Rookie

Default Random fps dips

Really need some help here, I'm not sure whats happening.

Firstly, my rig:

CPU: i7 3770k - Cooled with H100 OC @ 4.2Ghz
GPU: AMD Radeon 7970 Gigabyte OC 1Ghz (Factory OC)
16G 1666 Corsair Vengence.
Motherboard: Msi G45
Power Supply: Corsair TX 750
120G Mushkin Chronos SSD
1TB WD Caviar Black

I've been playing games perfectly fine, some good frames, solid frames. But Whenever I run fraps, it will run for a while, and then suddenly drop to 30FPS..and stop there. And doesn't go back up, only when I stop fraps. Very strange.

Also, when I playback footage it looks laggy.

I've tried running fraps 1080p 30fps and half frame 720p 30fps - No changes between the two.

I have no idea whats causing the problem and there for didn't know where to post this thread =(

Whilst writing this I thought to myself: My motherboards default Ram clock is 1333, but i've overclocked manually to 1666 instead of using XMP. Maybe this is causing problems?

I have no idea. But to sum up. Drop to 30fps when running fraps. Laggy video playback of recorded vidoes.

Could say it was fraps, but why would that cause problems? :-/

Thanks in advance.
Old October 4, 2012, 09:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1: Use XMP
2: Is this while you're recording? If so don't record to the same drive the game is installed on, and make sure you're recording at 50FPS in fraps and not 30.
Old October 5, 2012, 07:34 AM
Rookie

Thankyou:) Why should you record to a different drive btw?:) And yes it is while im recording.

Thanks
Old October 5, 2012, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Fraps records at a very high bitrate, thus stressing out your HDD and slowing down anything else thats running on the drive at the same time.
Old October 6, 2012, 12:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Is V Sync on? Games locked and running at 60 fps, then fraps begins recording at 30 fps, leaving you 30 fps in game possibly.

Old October 6, 2012, 01:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Fraps records at a very high bitrate, thus stressing out your HDD and slowing down anything else thats running on the drive at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvl89 View Post
Thankyou:) Why should you record to a different drive btw?:) And yes it is while im recording.

Thanks
As super pointed out .... its a VERY intense program + it buffers what your recording ...

Myself I do record to a secondary physical hard disc while my main programs are on my cronos deluxe & set the custom level for 420 fps, full screen & no audio which helps if your not looking to use the ingame sounds anyways which will keep the output files size down ... ex @ 120 fps 3-4 minutes might generate a 4-6 gig file ... add multi channel sound to that & your looking 12-14 gig file.

Also as the fraps program indicates .. the higher capasity/bandwidth the recording drive is the higher the quality/framerates your capture will be ..... here is 1 of my video's that i put on utube that was based on no audio but 120 fps capturing, make shure to view it in full HD mode to see what I mean:

Combat Arms on high end system (AMD) (HD) - YouTube

So, i'd firmly advise picking up a Sata6 based ssd or hard drive as your recording drive ..... probly another cronos 120 would give you at least up to 30 minutes of raw video/audio capture @ highest possible fps, or if you grab a 2-3 TB Cavier black or latest seagate baricuda based on tb platters ... you'll be able to get longer captures ... but at lower fps/quality ususaly.

So, my advise is again, set your fraps to capture @ 2-4x the fps your looking to get (420 gurentee's you should be getting minumaly 60 fps output files) also try 1/2 screen & no audio ... ohhh & forgot the ovious make a capture folder on your wd cavier black to record to ..... if that works, then try full screen & ect.

hope that helps you some.

Last edited by terrybear; October 6, 2012 at 01:46 AM.