Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 3, 2012, 06:22 PM
Top Prospect

Default Wait for Haswell?

I'm totally torn guys and I'm looking for ideas.

I want/need to upgrade. My sig shows my aging units specs. I'm also at a point where I need to reinstall etc, so instead of starting over with my current was just thinking upgrade.

But as I research I see in the spring that the new Intel platform is going to arrive. What do you think, suck it up for 6 months and then go new, or jump to Ivy now and not look back again for a couple years.

I don't really play many games anymore (kids), this is more a productivity and daily use machine for me. Lots of content management but not major conversion or encoding. Upon daily use retirement it will likely become a media server if no better solutions have emerged.

Big decisions for me, way things are going this could be my last desktop upgrade.
16GB Corsair Vengence Pro 1866
Corsair TX750w in a Corsair 550d
Old October 3, 2012, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Z77 wouldn't be a bad choice for an upgrade. I don't know that haswell will offer that much over Z77. If you need an upgrade right this instant then something like a 3570K with ASUS/MSI motherboard would be my choice. I'd get the unlocked chip so that you can overclock down the road for a boost in performance if needed.
Old October 3, 2012, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If it's just a productivity rig, have you tried a SSD? For general use the speed boost from one of those should swat the upgrade bug for a couple months.
Unless you like buggy BIOS (or UEFI) and the early adopter's price, you'll also want to wait a couple months AFTER the release of Haswell before you buy into the new platform. Even if you do decide to go Haswell later, the SSD you get now can transfer to the new computer. (I've transferred a single SSD between 4 computers now.)
Old October 3, 2012, 08:03 PM
Top Prospect

If your computing needs have outgrown your current setup, then it's probably best to bite the bullet and upgrade to Ivy Bridge now, as once Haswell is released we'll start hearing about the next big thing. If however you decide to wait it out, grabbing an SSD now and maybe some extra RAM may be enough to tide you over for the time being. SSD's have made quite an impression on anyone who has had the opportunity to use one.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't really see any reason (unless you drastically change your computer usage) to not suggest Ivy over Haswell. Sure, Haswell is the next best thing and it's more a tock than a tick, but Ivy will easily handle 180% of your listed "needs!"

I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade if you really want to and have the $. Seriously, what is Haswell going to offer you other than improved batter life... (that was a joke since the desktop.. oh never mind)
Old October 3, 2012, 09:46 PM
Banned

I'd say if your not gaming, grab a A10 5800K, FM2 motherboard for it, 16 gigs of 1866 DDR3 ram, a nice 240/256 gig ssd & call it a day ... Peaple are soooo quick to jump on a intel recomendation its discusting ...

This is what the new AMD A series trinity's are geared for ... low to mid ranged consumer business/developer type of pc's that offer better onboard apu/gpu solutions then intel ever will in the same segment. Not to mention FM2 is supported by AMD for the next few years vs intel's ALWAYS revolving door of socket revisions ...
Old October 4, 2012, 07:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by icodeit View Post
I'm totally torn guys and I'm looking for ideas.

I want/need to upgrade. My sig shows my aging units specs. I'm also at a point where I need to reinstall etc, so instead of starting over with my current was just thinking upgrade.

But as I research I see in the spring that the new Intel platform is going to arrive. What do you think, suck it up for 6 months and then go new, or jump to Ivy now and not look back again for a couple years.

I don't really play many games anymore (kids), this is more a productivity and daily use machine for me. Lots of content management but not major conversion or encoding. Upon daily use retirement it will likely become a media server if no better solutions have emerged.

Big decisions for me, way things are going this could be my last desktop upgrade.

I have the same rig as you I upgraded to an SSD (Vertex4-128Gig), 8 GB Ram, everything is awesome :) Still running an old ATI-3870 and gaming is fine. You can get the Vertex4 256gb now for a decent price.
Old October 5, 2012, 08:05 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the input. I think I will upgrade in the coming weeks. I'm going to go Z77 a Ivy. I do have a SSD drive now and plan to move it over.
frontier204's comment sold it for me. I always forget about the early adopter issues that seem to come up.

I will find a solid Asus z77 and then pick a chip and move forward. I will be reusing my video card, PSU, SDD (maybe, might go with a new larger Intel 520) and my HDD's.
16GB Corsair Vengence Pro 1866
Corsair TX750w in a Corsair 550d
Old October 5, 2012, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by icodeit View Post
I always forget about the early adopter issues that seem to come up.
Having to RMA my motherboard 1.5 months after I got it (P67 B2 rev) was a good reminder for me
Old October 25, 2012, 04:31 AM
Trial Member

I may go to the x79 platform if ivy bridge-e carries an integrated gpu. Does anyone know?