Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Can shorting a mobo, on the case, ruin that said mobo? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/5697-can-shorting-mobo-case-ruin-said-mobo.html)

mattlef April 21, 2008 03:59 PM

Can shorting a mobo, on the case, ruin that said mobo?

this might seem like an idiotic question, but it comes only because I was building a computer at 2am, against the do's and don'ts.

I'm using a E2200 and a XFX Nforce 610i, with just some cheapo kingston 667 ram. anyways in doing testing, I like an idiot had the mobo resting on the damned side pannel, forgetting its made of steel. i know, i know, idiotic.

So, it didnt post, because i'm sure it shorted. now, I'm out of thermal paste so I cannot re-test the board untill i get more, but do you think that the board is ruined? there are no marks indicating a stong short or any damage that can be seen by the eye, so.... am I in the clear, or in need of another mobo?

magictorch April 21, 2008 04:26 PM

your probably ok if my old duron MB is anything to go by-did the same thing-works ok.

Cptn Vortex April 21, 2008 04:39 PM

I had a mobo standoff sitting in the wrong place when I installed my nice new Asus Maximus Formular SE board.... needless to say it doesnt work for more than a day at a time, and every time I want to boot it I need to re-set the CMOS battery, uninstall the videocard then power it up, then down, and install the vide0card again. Dont even ask how long it took me to troubleshoot that one.....

magictorch April 21, 2008 04:46 PM

That sucks Cptn Vortex! dont those boards have short protection round all the screw holes?-i guess the standoff wasnt on the screw?

J2TheROC April 21, 2008 04:53 PM

I did the same thing before, I didnt install the mobo properly and it was touching the case, it took me 2 days to figure out what was wrong, after reinstalled the mobo everything worked fine as it should.. I could have just been lucky though.

Cptn Vortex April 21, 2008 04:59 PM

No, I mean... I put the board in and there was a standoff where there was NOT a mounting hole. Basically, the Maximus uses 9 screws to secure it but the 680i that was installed before uses 10.... I forgot to remove one. And I feel so stupid.... It's such a nice board!

magictorch April 21, 2008 05:10 PM

yeah those boards have really matured well+they are quite expensive to replace:sad:...AND it was an integral part of the VORTEX WC solution:canadianwave:

Cptn Vortex April 21, 2008 05:14 PM

Yeah..... It worked ok for about 2 weeks, but then it got worse and worse. Replacing it with a DFI P35 BI though, within the next few weeks. Hopefully get my Folding back up and running.

mattlef April 21, 2008 07:49 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply guys,
I had written it at work, and didnt really have time to check back as much.

I'll be getting some paste in soon, and I hope, that everything is fine, otherwise, I need to buy this cat a new mobo :S

Anyways, should I oc the e2200 to give him a little more umph? I mean its only gonna be used for net, movies and photoshop, so I dont know if its worth my time..... but I like :censored:'n with stuff :biggrin:

Cptn Vortex April 21, 2008 08:13 PM

Yes overclock! Remember who you are asking......