Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old September 19, 2012, 07:44 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 100
Default upgrading mobo/ram on my amd 955, questions on stability.

Currently im rocking a older Giga 770t-usb3 with 8gigs of 1333 oc'd to 1600 and im thinking of upgrading it to a Giga 990fx-ud3. I might pick up some new ram while im at it.

Im just concerned that since my cpu (oc'd to 4ghz) is a few years old now will it support 1866 ram possibly overclocked to 2000 or am I pushing it?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old September 19, 2012, 08:16 AM
great_big_abyss's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,211

My System Specs

Default

Why?

I don't think you'll see any great benefits to upgrading your board to an AM3+. Unless you plan on upgrading to an FX processor in the future.

As to the RAM, somebody may prove me wrong, but I think that the max supported is 1600.
__________________



HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; September 19, 2012 at 08:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old September 19, 2012, 08:21 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 100
Default

Honestly it was just to have an am3+ board for the future, more usbs ports available. Maybe upgrading my vid card first is best bet.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old September 19, 2012, 08:23 AM
great_big_abyss's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,211

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyk View Post
Honestly it was just to have an am3+ board for the future, more usbs ports available. Maybe upgrading my vid card first is best bet.
I honestly think it's a waste of money at this point. You're probably better off upgrading your video card NOW, (I don't know what you're running at this point in time) and then saving your money and doing an Intel switch over. A nice motherboard, i5 processor and 1866 RAM would probably run on the lighter side of $500.
__________________



HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old September 19, 2012, 12:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: midland, ontario
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
I honestly think it's a waste of money at this point. You're probably better off upgrading your video card NOW, (I don't know what you're running at this point in time) and then saving your money and doing an Intel switch over. A nice motherboard, i5 processor and 1866 RAM would probably run on the lighter side of $500.
Ahem, while you MAY sugest some "benefit" to move to a "intel platform" ... its not THAT big of a diffrence + at this point in time IF he goes EITHER route he will have to change boards cause both mainstream sockets will be probly changed in 13' (haswell socket 1150, amd plausably some G34 varient) & most importantly any preformance advange intel is having will be shrinking ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyk View Post
Honestly it was just to have an am3+ board for the future, more usbs ports available. Maybe upgrading my vid card first is best bet.
Well, IF your wanting more USB 2.0/3.0 ports + the possibility of moving to 1 of the newer Piledriver FX chips about to launch suposivly next month ..... then upgrading to a newer motherboard would be a good idea + AM3+ is going to be supported for at least thruout 13' so far.

As for videocards, not shure what your using right now ... but if you could hold off till around january the new AMD 88xx cards are supost to be launching around then ... unless you got a itchy trigger finger
..... my sugestion would be if you could hold up another 2-3 months save funds .. you could be in a better position to do some upgrades then.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old September 20, 2012, 07:21 PM
Silvgearx's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,106

My System Specs

Default

For real world performance, 1866mhz or 2000mhz won't make much of a difference for denb. For best results you should try tightening your timings and overclocking the CPU NB. Or like whats been said, go I5/I7.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrading from GTX 570 to Xfire HD 7970's today - Questions ELCID777 Video Cards 10 January 24, 2012 05:39 AM
Upgrading my ram, couple questions Nexile RAM 3 October 3, 2011 05:40 PM
Questions regarding Stability Testing. Kieli New Builds 15 December 23, 2010 11:37 AM
Mobo and CPU Questions Arinoth CPU's and Motherboards 0 June 1, 2009 09:31 AM
Upgrading a PC, need suggestions and more loaded questions inside! J2TheROC CPU's and Motherboards 13 April 29, 2008 11:12 AM