Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13, 2012, 07:02 AM
Rookie

Default Lag/choppyness issue

hi guys,

i'm using the p87zz-v pro motherboard along with a gtx 560 ti, and a i5 3570k.

For some reason when dualboxing WOW, if i put the game in window mode it'll use up to like 80+ % of CPU. I would also get choppyness/lag. But if they were both fully windowed in, i would use a lot less CPU.

Was wondering if this was normal, or if there was some kind of bottleneck happening.

Any tips / things i should be aware of, would be much appreciated. I just want to know i am getting the performance i should be.

I'm also, btw, having sometimes random computer crashes. No BSOD. Instant shut down. (is there a way to see an error for this?)

Thanks a lot.
Old September 13, 2012, 07:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

I've always found that windowed mode was iffy, and would indeed suck up a lot more power then fullscreen.

I'm sure someone has a better answer then that, though.
Old September 13, 2012, 08:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Games are not optimized that well for Windowed mode. Hell you typically can't run a game in sli or xfire in windowed mode as windows has absolutely no idea what it's doing running the game in windowed mode.

It sounds like for whatever reason WoW in windowed mode is not using/taxing your graphics card, moreso the brute of the calculations are being thrown to your CPU, again Windows having no idea what it's doing in windowed mode.