Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Thermal Paste removal help (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/56669-thermal-paste-removal-help.html)

biagio1661 September 12, 2012 01:01 PM

Thermal Paste removal help

What should I use to remove Thermal Paste from a CPU. I have read that I could use isopropyl alcohol and Q tips. Is 50% isopropyl alcohol ok?

maverick_brent September 12, 2012 01:31 PM

That will work fine.hell I usually use the
Gf finger nail remover remover just make sure it's clean and dry..including the cpu pins

sswilson September 12, 2012 01:57 PM

50% will work if it's all that you've got, but I personally buy 90%+ at the pharmacy because the 50% has impurities in it.

Alcohol + coffee filters does the trick for me. :)

Shadowmeph September 12, 2012 02:25 PM

Pressure washer lol just joking . I wipe off what I can with tp or what ever then use alcohol rub and tp which always works. I have plenty of practice doing this because of I used to put way to much paste on my cpu which always left a mess then when I go bored I had to clean it all off and do the job right.

terrybear September 12, 2012 02:41 PM

As the mod sswilson said .... 90%+ proof isopropoline from the pharmacy is a must to do so for this or whipe down anything you resell. :thumb:

Use tp / pt / ft to whipe off the initial amount to carefully not make it build up along the edge of the heatspreader till you see it & it just looks like its lightly smeared all over it but can read the lettering on it. Then take a fresh piece of whatever you used before ... douce most of the surface of it fairly moistly that your going to use to whipe it off on with the isopropoline & proceed to clean the outter edge of the heatspreader if paste has gotten on it. If there clean/clear proceed to do the top till its clear & looks how you got it out of the package or else repeat mentioned step of fresh material/isopropoline.

Make shure the surface is free of any dust/lint/tissue/towel particles when finished before re-applying your paste or repackaging it. :)

Silent_Avenger September 12, 2012 08:14 PM

Also if you do decide to go to the pharmacy to buy %90+ isopropyl sometimes you have to ask for it since they keep it behind the counter at some places.

massornament September 12, 2012 08:52 PM

I second sswilson... coffee filters work great as they don't leave dust or fibres behind... and most people have them lying around.

Mir September 12, 2012 11:56 PM

I use 90+ isopropyl from dollor store; which has been fine from last 12 years or so

bigFOIG September 13, 2012 02:05 AM

Did someone just say pressure washer? LOL.

Apathetik September 13, 2012 03:02 AM

Arcticlean!!! Best $5 you'll spend to deal with thermal paste removal! It smells amazing like oranges too. :thumb:

Arctic Silver ArctiClean 1 & 2 Thermal Surface Cleaner & Purifier 60ML Kit (2) 30ML Bottles - DirectCanada