Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2012, 08:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Comparing Brands

I was wondering if there was a particular order to the reliability of the following brands of motherboards: Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI. From highest reliability to lowest, what would they be?
Old September 12, 2012, 09:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Everyone has had different experiences with different brands. You're trying to quantify something based on random opinions. The only way to properly answer the question would be if you knew the RMA rates from each of the manufacturers.

However, I'd list them this way. Asus > Gigabyte > MSI > Asrock.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Like the previous poster said: its difficult to rank each brand as everyone has had a different experience with each. For me it goes: ASUS > MSI > GIGABYTE > the others. I look for whether or not they have RMA centres in Canada (ASUS and MSI have them here), then general quality of components/ reputation.

Last edited by dandelioneater; September 12, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old September 12, 2012, 11:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Everyone has had different experiences with different brands. You're trying to quantify something based on random opinions. The only way to properly answer the question would be if you knew the RMA rates from each of the manufacturers.

However, I'd list them this way. Asus > Gigabyte > MSI > Asrock.
I agree.
Intel i7-3770
Kingstone HyperX 2 x 8GB
Crucial M4 256GB + 128 GB
Sapphire Radeon HD7970
Nec Multisync LCD2690WUXI
Old September 12, 2012, 11:14 AM
Allstar

Last year I RMA 2 motherboards for the first time in my life, an Asus and a MSI, the Asus was not booting anymore with RAM in dual channel and the MSI have only something not working in the BIOS. MSI send me a new board and Asus return the board saying it was working perfectly, they even show me a test report WTF .... one of the red memory slot is not working, they blame the CPU, BS I change the CPU, so now I have to use the board in single channel.... the noob guy test it with only 1 stick of RAM ....too stupid to read my note, or he simply can't read English No more Asus for sure, their RMA service is crap.
Old September 12, 2012, 11:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Personally I'd put MSI above Gigabyte due to the amount of motherboards I've had partially to fully fail.

Also the fact Gigabyte only does RMA to southern California...
Old September 12, 2012, 12:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yeap. With ASUS it is like that. Get it, test it. If it does not work - exchange at retailer. If it past 2 weeks - throw it out. Asus emulates RMA for motherboards. But they do not do RMA. If you send them the board, they will send it back to you saying it is fixed or working perfectly. They won't even touch your MB.

Once I have sent them P35 MB (not booting up.) and I put small piece of paper right under socket cap. When I received it back, it still did not boot and paper was still under cap. ASUS did not event install CPU to test it. They do not care, and they know it costs you money to send it back to them.

But I still get ASUS boards, simply because when they work - they are the best in quality, BIOS and fan monitoring. Gigabyte is very high quality too, but their BIOS is shadier and fan monitoring is next to nonexistant.
Intel i7-3770
Kingstone HyperX 2 x 8GB
Crucial M4 256GB + 128 GB
Sapphire Radeon HD7970
Nec Multisync LCD2690WUXI