Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2012, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

First off I have no experience with GPGPU.

Secondly I look at it like this. A AMD FX cpu likely will give very good results for what you plan on using it for (performance/$). It is one of the only times bulldozer CPU do very well. That said I personally still would not pick it. Reason being that a computer will be used for more than one task and current intel cpu just work better for everything. But for me the hands down reason is for power consumption. FX CPU suck back on substantially more power while working than intel and its something I wouldn't deal with.

With that all said, if budget is a concern and you don't mind the power consumption you can go with an FX CPU with no regrets. If you have the few extra dollars up front and want a more well rounded CPU that is easier on power go for intel....that's my 2 cents.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old September 9, 2012, 08:43 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
GPGPU encoding is awful, I have tried many times. I encode videos quite a bit, and CPU based encoding is constant. GPGPU tends to throw random artifacts in, I have tried many different pieces of software thinking it was bad code. It needs to come a long way before I will try it again.

Its probably just the code maturity right now, since the cpu encoding has been around forever.
i honestly don't understand how it is even possible for a gpu and cpu to get different results...isn't an ALU in a GPU the same as an ALU in a CPU? or are the equations simply way more complex than that? or the equations different in order to optimize for different cache schemes?
Old September 9, 2012, 09:54 PM
Allstar

This is just a few pieces of software, but its pretty much a good indication of the state of things.

The wretched state of GPU transcoding - Slideshow | ExtremeTech
Old September 9, 2012, 10:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

You need Intel CPU.
Intel i7-3770
Kingstone HyperX 2 x 8GB
Crucial M4 256GB + 128 GB
Sapphire Radeon HD7970
Nec Multisync LCD2690WUXI
Old September 9, 2012, 11:20 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Secondly I look at it like this. A AMD FX cpu likely will give very good results for what you plan on using it for (performance/$). It is one of the only times bulldozer CPU do very well. That said I personally still would not pick it. Reason being that a computer will be used for more than one task and current intel cpu just work better for everything. But for me the hands down reason is for power consumption. FX CPU suck back on substantially more power while working than intel and its something I wouldn't deal with.

With that all said, if budget is a concern and you don't mind the power consumption you can go with an FX CPU with no regrets. If you have the few extra dollars up front and want a more well rounded CPU that is easier on power go for intel....that's my 2 cents.
I see what you're trying to say, but what exactly are you referring to that is more demanding than gaming and video encoding that a regular person does at home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
This is just a few pieces of software, but its pretty much a good indication of the state of things.

The wretched state of GPU transcoding - Slideshow | ExtremeTech

thanks for the link....that'll be my sunday reading it looks like ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 486 View Post
You need Intel CPU.
not sure if srs.
Old September 10, 2012, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
I see what you're trying to say, but what exactly are you referring to that is more demanding than gaming and video encoding that a regular person does
I meant that encoding will likely do very well with amd (not that intel does worse, but it costs more)but games and other tasks are better with intel.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old September 10, 2012, 01:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Higher IPC and finer tech process - double advantage Intel holds. I hate Intel, but they sell drasticly better product at this time.
Intel i7-3770
Kingstone HyperX 2 x 8GB
Crucial M4 256GB + 128 GB
Sapphire Radeon HD7970
Nec Multisync LCD2690WUXI
Old September 10, 2012, 02:54 PM
Banned

Simply put ... wait for the vishera's to launch in oct before buying anything ... cause it will have various effects on both amd & intel cpu's ...
Old September 11, 2012, 01:35 AM
Allstar

^is there a confirmed date for the launch?

anyhow, I did some more looking up. price-wise, the 8120's competitor is the i3-3240. It feels safe to say that the 8120 is better bang-for-buck for this specific use-case (especially since I can overclock the BD chip).

but ya, I'll probably wait anyways :) I'll post a build up later once I get closer to buying time and Vishera is ready.

thank you everyone for your input; it was great! feel free to keep talking though.

in summary:
-BD is a good buy for this type of user, provided it offers enough CPU horsepower for your games and performance in other CPU-heavy tasks is not important.
-GPGPU rendering is a pretty bad idea at this point unless you're doing a project where 'every minute counts'