Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2008, 08:17 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Safest BIOS Flash Method?

MY board is a ASUS P5NE-SLI

I am having an issue where I may have to try and power my computer on 5 or 10 times before it posts properly.

AGAIN. (after my 3rd RMA)

With my previous attempt at a BIOS Flash I used the option within the CMOS.
IT said the flash worked, but it did not. Afterwards it would not let me reflash.

Should I use the DOS based flasher I downloaded from ASUS?
Old April 18, 2008, 08:53 PM
Allstar

I think the safest way is from a boot disk. Many sites I have read say it's never a good idea to flash from windows. Either way, flashing is risky and can brick your board, at least according to my gigabyte mobo manual for my p35-ds3l.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old April 18, 2008, 09:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have the same board in my fiance's computer. I always flashed using the windows prog, but found I usually had to clear the cmos to get it to post afterwards due to new options in the bios.
Old April 18, 2008, 10:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Eh, call me crazy, but I've always felt that the best time to overwrite the motherboard's instructions on how to work, was when it was working as little as possible - that is, flash from a boot disk. Or, since you have an Asus board, from a flash drive.

That aside, you probably shouldn't be flashing anything on a frequent basis, so when it's actually needed, it probably worth the trouble of doing it right.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:36 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

OK so I tried re-flashing the bios from a boot disk. (3.5")

IT goes through and in the last row of the index there are two spots that are not written to.
Then the computer restarts. IT seems like the bios version has change.

I try to go into the bios yet I still have the same problem?

Does anyone know what happened? (Again?)
Old May 14, 2008, 10:58 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

ALSO - Does unpluging the cmos battery (like I did) the same effect as using the clear bios jumper?
Old May 15, 2008, 02:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

How long did you have the battery unplugged?

Generally if you're down to needing to pull the battery, it should be a full 24 hours and leave the Cmos reset jumpers made for that whole time as well.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 15, 2008, 02:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydies View Post
ALSO - Does unpluging the cmos battery (like I did) the same effect as using the clear bios jumper?
Yeah, unplugging the battery is the equivalent of cmos reset. Are you absolutely positive that you have the right BIOS for your mobo? Sometimes there will be a "rev 2.0", etc. of a mobo, and there can be enough difference that a different BIOS is needed. If you can't get it flashed to the new BIOS, then try going back to the original BIOS. If that works, then something could have messed up during the download. I would re-download the new BIOS, and since the cmos is ok(assuming the old bios worked), retry flashing. If it doesn't take again, then i would go back to the old BIOS..and wait til the next version comes out. Unless there's a feature you "must" have, having the most up-to-date BIOS isn't always a big deal(unless it's a fairly new mobo, or you're installing a new{arch.}CPU). GL

Edit: Once you've flashed the BIOS, it's always a good idea to set to "fail-safe" defaults..then save and exit. You don't have to reboot...just re-enter the BIOS after you saved and restarted...then set your parameters to your liking. I would use the floppy/USB(if applicable) DOS method of flashing. Lately i've been lazy and flashing from Windows, but there's more chance of a crash/freeze, etc. and you could pooch your BIOS.

Last edited by 1Tanker; May 15, 2008 at 03:03 AM.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

Safest? Boot disk, and have the system connected to a UPS.
some MB's have a dual bios flash chips, thats cool too.
Old May 15, 2008, 06:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would never, ever, ever use the flasher from ASUS. It is probably one of the worst, most unreliable flashers in my experience.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.