Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2012, 03:25 PM
Rookie

Default What FAST Motherboard-CPU Combo is Compatible with XP64 ?

Hi All, I am a long time user of computers & reader of Hardware Canucks.

I'm halfway up a wall with a new computer, details below.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

I just 'upgraded' to Win7 64 on an Intel Hex Core 3930K on an ASRock Extreme 6 X79 chipset motherboard.

My key applications are
3D Studio Max
SolidWorks
Maya
Blender
ZBrush
Flash, Photoshop, & other supporting aps - Camtasia etc.

3D Studio Max 9, my favorite 3D animation ap, did not make the jump from XP64 on a quad core sytem to this system.

Even with the "XP Compatibility" feature of Windows 7, the licensing mechanism failed.

One of my favorite parts of 3D is 'particle effects' (smoke hair sparks) and water effects. All very CPU intensive, perfect for a hex core.

Anyway, I was wondering if a fellow geek could tell me -

Which current Motherboard CPU combinations are compatible with XP 64 ?

Is Windows XP compatible with the Intel 2600K or an Opteron 8 Core ?

Is it compatible with some Socket 2011 motherboards with a 3930K CPU ?

Any motherboard-CPU combination recommendations, that you are running with Windows XP64, I would much appreciate.

As a side note, to fully describe the system, I have the OS on one 256 GB Solid State Drive, and my primary working desktop on a second 256 GB SSD. I wonder if that may have affected my experience with Windows 7 and 3D Studio Max 9. The license crapped out. I went through the full Serial Number - double authorization code routine just like 4 or 5 times before (Autodesk licensing). It 'went through' OK, and then crapped out - stopped working.

Long story short, I have not been able to experience the Geek Wonderfulness of 3D Max 9 Particles on a FAST system.

The current version of Max does particles OK, but it lacks the Reactor/ Havoc physics engine. That is a major drawback. Aside from getting work done, it is just not as much fun without Reactor. (Max 9 has Reactor, Max 2013 on Windows 7 does not.)

Thanks again for any help with this.
Old September 7, 2012, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't quite understand your problem. But seem like you have problem running some programs under windows 7.

Have you tried VirtualBox? https://www.virtualbox.org/

I run windows 7, Virtualbox ubuntu 10.12 and xp.
Old September 7, 2012, 05:19 PM
Allstar

See the 2nd posts of this link:

z77 chipset and xp - bit-tech.net Forums

I seriously don't think the motherboard manufacturers make XP drivers. Some have suggest running it under Vista compatibility mode. Anyway, you're out of luck, the software is just too old.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Silv had the right answer to your problem. Run those programs under a virtual machine loaded with XP64. Alternatively, upgrade to a more recent version? I understand you'll lose familiarity, but I imagine you'll get better multithreading and GPU support with something more recent. Max 9 must be at least 5 years old.

Edit: I read your reasoning afterwards. In this case I'd definitely just hit up a VM. Just make sure to set it up with plenty of RAM and give it access to all the cores. It won't be as efficient as native, but it'll be pretty damn quick still.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvgearx View Post
I don't quite understand your problem. But seem like you have problem running some programs under windows 7.

Have you tried VirtualBox? https://www.virtualbox.org/

I run windows 7, Virtualbox ubuntu 10.12 and xp.

When I tried to install XP64 I got a BSOD, quite reliably.

Just plain, not compatible. Didn't even get as far as installing drivers. It would crash out while reading the XP64 install disc & give me the BSOD.

Then I went to install Windows 7, that's what I'm working on now.

I still have the XP64 quad core workstation, and the way it's working out, that is a more productive workstation for me than the new Hex-core one.

But I thought, if not the Socket 2011 combination of 3930K/ Asrock Extreme 6, then maybe a 2700K/2600K system would be compatible with XP64.

For me, running Max 9 (vintage 2008) is more important than having Autodesk Max 2013. The Max 9 license is paid for and it has more useful features.

But since the Max 9/ XP64 combination works, I'm trying to find the fastest system to run it on.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

XP64 was never well supported in the first place, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a recent solution that works for you.
Old September 7, 2012, 08:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you sure that it isn't your xp disk? I have never had any problems running win xp x64 on any of my hard ware , and actually the only reason why I don't use windows xp x64 is because of Drivers I can never find the rite drivers to work. sometimes I could use vista drivers but most of the time they didn't work.
you might be able to find a way searching the net on how to make the software compatible wih win 7 I can't imagine that there isn't a way to make it work
Old September 8, 2012, 04:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As said in the second post, Create a Virtual machine of XP.. That way you can use the power of your system and still have the functionality of the old software you want.

Alternatively, contact the software vendor and ask them if they have any suggestions as to how to make it work under windows 7, especially if it's the licencing mechanism thats the problem.

I'm sure a 3d guru forum would have a good idea of how to make it work / work around the limitation your seeing
Old September 8, 2012, 07:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
XP64 was never well supported in the first place, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a recent solution that works for you.
XP64 worked fine for the most part and didn't have any hiccups.

Issue is that he's probably got the Virtual Machine to set to use AHCI mode which XP64 won't work with.
Old September 8, 2012, 07:37 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
XP64 worked fine for the most part and didn't have any hiccups.

Issue is that he's probably got the Virtual Machine to set to use AHCI mode which XP64 won't work with.
i have one more shot, this year, at the license authorization.

after that, there's a lot more paperwork to jump through. Autodesk doesn't let you re-install their software ad infinitum.

i was hoping to find another XP64 user who is using a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge, or maybe just Nehalem.

my guess is, there was a period after the Q9550 when XP64 was still being run OK. i would just like to find out, who is using what, to run their XP64 systems on.

i don't mind experimenting with the Virtual Machine, but my next install of Max 9 this year needs to be 'for sure'.

in any case, Thanks Much for the feedback so far !

Last edited by Raviolissimo; September 8, 2012 at 07:43 AM.