Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2012, 10:14 AM
Rookie

Default EEPROM burner?

Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
I was updating my BIOS every time the new one was available. On the last update, the motherboard got bricked. Display is off, no beeps, RAM led is on. Questions:
1. Where is the BIOS chip on this motherboard?
2. Is it removable (in a socket, no soldering)?
3. Anybody in Vancouver has a device to burn a BIOS onto the chip?
4. Is "EEPROM burner" the right name for it?

Please note, the motherboard is comletely unresponsive. I cannot "try flashing again". Tried MemOK, Turbo Switch, removing RAM, disconnecting all drives, removing battery and clearing CMOS. Nothing helped. The only hope is to replace the BIOS chip (or remove and re-flash it outside of the mobo). The board and all components were working perfectly until the last BIOS update.
Old September 6, 2012, 10:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I just pulled up a picture on the net, I can't tell if its socketed or not from the top down shot, but the bios is the chip directly above the 4 white sata ports.
Old September 6, 2012, 10:50 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

It appears to be a socketed 8pin DIP. Chances are there's a site that sells the chip programmed with whatever BIOS you require, I know there used to be a few years back. The prices were pretty cheap.

Chances are the BIOS chip is a serial flash, EEPROM's have kind of gone the way of the dinosaur. Programmers aren't expensive, A decent mom and pop type shop would probably have one, if they know what they're doing.
Old September 6, 2012, 11:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had thought that asus backs up the old bios or has a duel bios setup so that you can fix this but I am probably misunderstanding this
like just booting of of a cd that has an earlier bios ?
Old September 6, 2012, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Roo got a friend have the same MB sounds a bad flash or cmos chip died

looks if its a 8pin and socketed

you can hot flash it by booting a working system (same MB) in dos and have your flasher and file ready to flash (note no drives hooked up , just basic's to boot floppy or usb)

then poop out cmos chip and note where the notch is for put a good chip in socket same way then run you flash program

if sucessful then power down and remove and replace frinds chip and take your home
Old September 6, 2012, 12:09 PM
Rookie

@Shadowmeph
Yes, there is supposed to be a feature called CrashFree BIOS. Never had a chance to see it in action. Not sure how exactly it's implemented. As far as I know there is no dual BIOS. Guess the (only) BIOS that's there is supposed to be able to self-diagnose and go into re-flash if errors found. Thing is, it's completely dead. No booting from CD, nothing else. Turning PC on, display doesn't even wake up, and no beeps are coming from the motherboard.
Old September 6, 2012, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

roo try reseating cmos chip

you didn't say where you hang your hat, if close to me i show you what to do or buy chip already programed
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; September 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old September 6, 2012, 01:12 PM
Rookie

@KaptCrunch
Thanks for the offer, very kind of you. But I'm in Vancouver.
Can hot flash be performed on an older MB? I've got an old PC with P4P800E-Deluxe. I'm not using it anymore, don't mind killing it.
Or, if I pull the chip from P4P800 and put it in M4A89GTD as is, would it be able to load into CrashFree?
Old September 6, 2012, 05:04 PM
Rookie

Actually, forget it. P4P800 has a completely different BIOS chip. Looks like buying one from ASUS is the way to go. Thanks everyone.

Tags
asus , bios , bios crash , m4a89gtd pro/usb3