Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Default socket 771?

i find some of the processors and baords for 771 cheap! stupid cheap! it makes me think of replacing the motherboard and processor in my pentium 3 server just by looking at it!

the only thing i plan to do with it is run SRCDS, HLDS, file server. im planning to do mostly multimedia hosting on it. somethign like that.

is it worth it? will i have problems? explain your experiances with socket 771 (planning on getting intel board and processor)
Old August 30, 2012, 08:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You won't find a lot of people on here extolling the virtues of 5 generation old hardware.
Old August 30, 2012, 09:03 PM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
You won't find a lot of people on here extolling the virtues of 5 generation old hardware.
i wasnt expecting that kind of a post. am i back to making bad posts again?

all im asking if socket 771 is good enough to be used as something like a home multimedia server.
Old August 30, 2012, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Not worth the heart-ache.. buy something low-0end and used from the last few years and you'll get it damn cheap..
Old August 31, 2012, 12:14 AM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Not worth the heart-ache.. buy something low-0end and used from the last few years and you'll get it damn cheap..
well i dont think a regular desktop can handle what i need. i am not only hosting a HLDS server and SRCDS server but also streaming stuff from the server.

i also do lots of file transfers to it too so im trying to find a good server that i can keep all in one box instead of running three of them. not being energy wise here but space wise.
Old August 31, 2012, 12:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You're right.

You need a blade server or maybe some sort of Beowulf cluster for what you're doing. Desktop hardware just can't cut it.
Old August 31, 2012, 01:55 AM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
You're right.

You need a blade server or maybe some sort of Beowulf cluster for what you're doing. Desktop hardware just can't cut it.
idk if i should take this as sarcasm.....

all i asked for is if socket 771 is worth upgrading too because im seeing it for a price thats way to cheap on ebay. i dont want to end up buying something that ill have loads of problems with.

is my question so stupid that it looks like im trolling? im being serious here.

i just want to save on space by putting it all in just one box with two quad core or dual core processors, about 6-12gb of memory, and run my tf2, HLDS, file server, FTP server, and webserver on it.

other wise, give me a reason why i shouldnt use socket 771 and what kind of problems i may have with it.
Old August 31, 2012, 02:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Desktop hardware is far more power than you need for a file /streaming/HLDS server... grab a dual/quad core something and it will be plenty.

The limiting factor is less likely to be the processor and far more likely to be disk access times..
Old August 31, 2012, 02:13 AM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Desktop hardware is far more power than you need for a file /streaming/HLDS server... grab a dual/quad core something and it will be plenty.

The limiting factor is less likely to be the processor and far more likely to be disk access times..
so two dual core processors should be able to handle the tf2 MVM server i host, the HLDS server, and the file tranfers that go on? im willing to purchase multiple sata drives if i have to.
Old August 31, 2012, 04:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

The game server my clan pays for is 3 cores of a 6 core and 3gb of ram, we run 5x TF2 servers from it with no issues (2x MvM)

Socket 771 is found in high end enterprise stuff. You're paying for the ability to run dual CPU. Unless it's free I wouldn't be getting into it. A current dual core should handle all you're doing now. Plus DDR2 ECC memory is expensive!

Closed Thread