Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2008, 05:32 PM
Rookie

Default Help on mobo

Hello, i want to build a new system=) Between this boards wich one should i pick. I will be running at stock setting for a wile untill i learn how to oc safely=)

1) Asus rampage formula
2)DFI LP LT x38 T2R
3)Gigabyte x38 DQ6
4)ASUS Maximus Formula

I am mostly looking for a stable board=) I heard great things on the DFI board my only concer is that looking at the layout of the DFI board, seems like the memory slots are extremely close to the PVI-e slot? and might give me trouble installing my 8800 ultra?
Asus i like them has well but i saw several reviews sayng that theyr RMA is terrible and theyr bios update is even worst, any truth to this?

The CPU i plan to use is the e8400 or e8500. I will be using this rig for gaming.
Old April 17, 2008, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

DFI boards are great for overclocking but they can be picky for the type of ram they use. I have also heard that the bios options can be a little daunting. I personally would go for the DFI board...I like a challenge.
Old April 17, 2008, 05:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

I have that DFI board, and I love it. It feels like there are a billion possible combinations of options, which can be scary since I have no idea what half of them do, but its also good to know because your pretty much guaranteed to have the options you need.

The RAM slots are too close to the first PCIe slot, but you can still use them. I have an 8800GTX and the clips open JUST enough to let me add/remove DIMMs.
Old April 17, 2008, 05:50 PM
Rookie

I know thats what scares me since i am still at noob at this =/
Originally i loved to buy either the 780i or the 790i but after reading all those horror stories of data corruption and constant BSOD , i think i am gona pass on the nvidia chipset lol
The Gigabyte looks like my best option and more noob friendly then the dfi , but since atm i am on a budget and i have already spent over 1000$ on all the other components, i do not want to buy a new cpu cooler. I have a zalman 9700 atm and seems like it will not fit on the DQ6 because of that cooler located on the back of the mobo?
I could buy one of those new schyte ninja rev. B but the idea of all that weight hanging on my mobo scares, any one have any experience with this cooler and can verify ?
I am really having an hard time picking a motherboard
The more reviews i read and the more i keep changing my mind, it`s crazy.

Also atm its probably to premature to get an x48 mobo with ddr2?
Old April 17, 2008, 07:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You might want to PM cashekicker and ask him what he thinks of his Gigabyte X38-DQ6. He's been running that with an E8400 for at least a month, but I haven't had a lot of time to ask him how he's making out with it.

The Maximus formula suffers the same issue WRT memory slots being placed close to the PCIe slot. Very hard to get the ram out with an ASUS 3870X2 installed.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 17, 2008, 09:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

As far as a stable board/system.... most mobo's today are fine...overclocking separates the wheat from the chaff. IMO, the Gigabyte would be the way to go. X48 isn't really worth it at this point-in-time... unless you're overclocking for WR's. Both ASUS boards are great, but not great enough to warrant the extra cost.GL
Old April 18, 2008, 02:34 AM
Rookie

Hi and thx for the help.
I will get the Gigabyte=) What good cooler should i get that will not give me installation problems on this board?
I was thinking shcyte ninja rev. b.
Old April 18, 2008, 02:38 PM
Rookie

Hi

I bought an asus rampage formula i got a good price on it , only 270$ =)

I have one more question since i am a noob at all of this.
i will be running at stock speeds and the memory i bought is corsair pc8500 at 5-5-5-15 2.1v.
At stock speed is this memory going to be good or should i get PC6400 800 mhz at 5-5-5-18 1.8v?
When it comes to memory i get totaly confused.
The memory is the dominator one from corsair and i believe it has EPP.