Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2008, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default AMD nforce 700 Series

I hope I haven't brought an old thread here that I just missed feel free to delete if neccessary.

My question is whether anyone has heard whether or not nVidia has anticipated release date of the 700 series for AMD, or has nVidia decided to let AMD take over support for their own cpus for now. I understand that it just makes good business sense to cash in on whats the fastest and makes the most money "Intel" Unfortunately I am beginning to feel a little hung out to dry by nVidia, I have bought their video cards and motherboards for years and its to a point where there's little else to go but to Intel.

Is it me or is the 590 series a little dated and due for an update, honestly I can't even use my 8800GT in SLI on my board due to length of the cards and placement of SATA controllers. Thats not entirely nVidia fault Asus is partly to blame, but when the new hardware doesn't accomodate older hardware layouts then something has got to give and right now its my sanity.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; April 26, 2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old April 26, 2008, 01:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well it appears that 780a and 750a has finally become a bit of reality I recently was browsing Biostar's and Asus's website and found both products under the AM2+ section of motherboards. I really would like to see benchmarks and the overclocking potential of these boards hopefully it might offer some ray of hope for AMD and see what nvidia is doing for them these days.

You can check out the boards here

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

BIOSTAR
Old April 26, 2008, 04:30 AM
Top Prospect

I don't know about these, but my DFI Dk 790FX-M2RS is really impressive on overclocking. My 5600+ is now running verry stable at 3,25Ghz. The board only cost 145$ on Buy Computer Parts, Computer Hardware, PC Parts at Best Online Computer Shop - DirectCanada . AMD'S new south-bridge (wich is available on the 780 series) is suppose to reach the 790 FX any time now, wich is going to make this chip set even better.
Old April 26, 2008, 07:19 AM
Allstar

havent play with those 700A since they aren't in store right now,

but i must admit that the experience with Para_frank PC and the DFI LP Dk790FX was quite a pleasure,

was one of the easiest OC i did so far, followed by my opteron which is a golden chip.

i would love to see the diffence betwen the 790FX from AMD and the 700A from nvidia.

i put my 2$ on AMD, but only time will tell.

sure asus came out with a nice baord layout with massive copper and all the bling bling but would you realy pay that much for such a board why a 145$ board can squeeze your balls off. just take a look at Gigabyte and their P35-ds3, on of the best seller board for intel and its quite cheap for all the option/OC you can get out there compare to the asus formula and all the high end bling bling ....

hope manifacturer will have low end board with those chipset otherwise AMD is gonna win the war

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old April 26, 2008, 11:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with you on many points AMDs chipset will probably win out but its nice to have choice for SLI on a newer platform from nVidia, Geforce/AMD users have been stuck with the 590SLI for quite some time now. The dated platform and certain board layouts using SLI has been a challenge because the 8 series cards are longer and block sata controllers making the use of SLI not an option (in my case). I could potentially get it to work but that might require me to do a complete format and there is no way I would actually know if it will work out in the end.

I might still consider looking into the 750a as I have no intention of ever running a triple SLI configuration, the board from biostar looks pretty good in terms of layout and has always had a decent reputation for overclocking. Once we start to see reviews become more readily available then I will make a decision, for now I will just keep humming a long with my 590 as it has served me very well and runs all my games without any major performance issues. It still burns me that I have a second 8800GT SC Akimbo sitting in my closet taking up space when it should be taking up space in my computer.

Last edited by Eagle Eye; April 26, 2008 at 11:20 AM.