Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Sabertooth z77 vs msi z77 gd 65 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/55998-sabertooth-z77-vs-msi-z77-gd-65-a.html)

yehia7000 August 9, 2012 05:13 AM

Sabertooth z77 vs msi z77 gd 65

which is better in terms of overclocking and gaming performance the sabertooth z77 or msi z77 gd 65

elmorejohn46 August 14, 2012 07:01 AM

which ever you go with a Ivory or a Sandy make sure you get the K version so the multipler is unlocked,that is the only way to get good overclocks. If you are just a gamer then the i5-3570 or the i5-2500K ,if you do more then just game like recoding and encoding then go with a i7-3770K or a 2700K .Either motherboard should overclock just fine with a multipler overclock.If overclocking the ivory then you just want to ajust the mutipler because they get hot quick if you start increaseing the core voltage.You can probally get a 2500K or a 2700K to a higher overclock since it does run cooler the the ivory.But the ivory runs faster clock per clock.But the ivory has a few more features then the Sandy like PCIe 3 ready.As for as the motherboards I like the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel
Newegg.com - ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

It just looks good.

zsamz_ August 14, 2012 09:00 AM

asus boards are more stable

in terms of overclocking only the maximus IV will give you an edge

horusray August 14, 2012 09:08 AM

I looked up this VRM list before my recent M/B purchase. Eventually I went with Gigabyte Z77 UD5H. It has 12 phase counts compared to 8 of the M/Bs you listed. More phase count = better overclocking. It also features dual BIOS swtich, a CMOS clear button, LED debug, and msata slot. It's about $60 cheaper than Sabertooh, though Sabertooh is known for durability.

yehia7000 August 14, 2012 09:31 PM

horusray, you said gigabyte ud5h has 12 power phase but the much better maximus v extreame which is the best motherboard in performance and overclocking has 8 power phase

horusray August 15, 2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yehia7000 (Post 648551)
horusray, you said gigabyte ud5h has 12 power phase but the much better maximus v extreame which is the best motherboard in performance and overclocking has 8 power phase

Maximus V Extreme uses PWM that has 8 true power phases vs 12 virtual power phases of Gigabyte z77-UD5H. Motherboard VRM Explaination Part1: The VRM and PWM - YouTube

As for why why Maximus V Gene (4 true power phases) can overclock better than UD5H? I'm not so sure. Perhaps it's the MOSFETs Maximus family uses that can handle 60A.

In the end, I chose UD5H over Gene because it's a full ATX board with more expansions, and it's a bit cheaper (I used a $50 BB gift card and paid $153 after tax) . Also, I only overclock my 3570k to 4.5gHz given the Noctua D14's capabilities. If I had the money to afford Corsair H100 or equivalent, I would've considered Gigabyte UP5-TH or even Maximus V Etreme.

NSdeadly1 August 15, 2012 05:27 PM

The Gigabyte may have more power phases than the ASUS but in reality that doesn't mean a heck of a lot these days. The reason why the ASUS boards have "only" 8 phases is that they use very high quality capacitors and other components so they don't need as many phases to achieve the same stability as other boards with more phases. read the reviews of the Z77 Sabertooth and you will see that it is one of the best overclockers out there. Mine took my 2500k to 4.5ghz without batting an eye, plus it's the most kick a$$ looking board out there IMO :thumb:

horusray August 15, 2012 11:06 PM

A lot of ppl like Sabertooth for its looks, but I beg to differ. I like to see all the components of a board when I open a case. They made effort to desgin the layout, so why not take some time and appreciate the design of a board. I know the cover really does its job to keep dust out and keep tthe board cool. I guess it all comes to personal preference.