Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   h60 on amd 955 too warm? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/55986-h60-amd-955-too-warm.html)

biggyk August 8, 2012 09:20 AM

h60 on amd 955 too warm?

So I bought an h60 for my and 955 over clocked to 4.0ghz 1.45v sitting in a 600t. When playing bf3 or stress testing, my cpu goes up to 60c tops. Idle is 41c. My PC doesn't crash or freeze but I'm concerned that its too warm. The h60 is in a exhaust setup. I'm wondering if the CM212 might be a better bet. Can you guys give me some insight on this?

supaflyx3 August 8, 2012 09:28 AM

Those are very good temperatures for the clock speeds, the suggestion i have is switch the fan around so its an intake and add a second for push/pull.

stoanee August 8, 2012 09:35 AM

What are your ambient temps? How do you have it mounted? You could replace the fan for something better.

biggyk August 8, 2012 10:38 AM

Case temps are pretty good, low 30s. The concern I had about switching to intake was bringing in more heat as it passes through the rad. I'll give it a go and use my original fan I got with the 600t for pull.

supaflyx3 August 8, 2012 10:49 AM

It'll be pulling cold air from outside the case instead of warm air off your GPU, you'll also need to use 2 screws for each fan instead of 4 since the H60 only comes with 4 screws.

biggyk August 8, 2012 12:21 PM

I figured ncix might have screws but 2 is fine.

Slik August 8, 2012 12:39 PM

I think it's a mistake having the rad fans draw air IN from outside the case. I tried both ways with the H 80, the H100 and the Antec H2 0 920 I'm using right now,and found having the fans set to exhaust ,is really the best way. Both Corsair and Antec recommend the fans exhaust rather than intake air. When they exhaust air through the rad,they also exhaust warm air from the inside of the case. The warm air from inside the case is much cooler than the liquid in the H 60 rad,thus the air exhausting from inside the case cools the rad considerably. I tried all this on three different cases I had. The Alienware Area 51 ALX,the Thermaltake Level 10 GT and the one I use now,the Thermaltake Level 10. Honestly,I have excellent CPU temps and Video cards etc. are running at low temps during lengthy gaming sessions. Installing the cooler in a manner that differs from the manufacturer recommendations, may have impact on your warranty. I don't know,I'm just saying it's possible.

stoanee August 8, 2012 12:54 PM

You could also try remounting the cooler with some known good TIM.

great_big_abyss August 8, 2012 01:10 PM

Honestly, those temps sound about as good as you'll get for that chip with that OC. I was hitting 58C with my 965 on Air with the Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 in a push-pull config and a 3.7Ghz OC.

I think that short of a custom loop, you won't see much better temps than you already have. But I think you'll be fine with 60C, as long as your CPU isn't pegged all the time. I fold with my CPU, which is why I backed it off, since it's pegged at 100% all the time.

biggyk August 8, 2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoanee (Post 647403)
You could also try remounting the cooler with some known good TIM.

Yeah, I forgot I had some Artic silver 5 laying around so I tried it but no difference so I then posted on here.

Computer is running fine so if you all say 60 peak is good then im good:biggrin: Usually its more like 55-58 anyway.