Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2008, 10:54 AM
Rookie

Default FSB vs Mem Speeds + MB suggestions...

What are the pro's and/or con's of having a system with different FSB and Mem Speeds. Are there any con's? IE: FSB 1333 and Mem 1066

As for the MB...

Rig Purpose: 3D Modelling, Animating, Digital Painting... and gaming.
Rig Price Range: $1300CAD

Im looking for recommendations for a mobo which will work well with the new Q9450 Procs. Im not big on SLI so my focus is on a board that would really get the most out of the processor. But if that board happens to be SLI I wouldn't be opposed to it.

In terms of Mem, (which is the reason I asked the question above) I wouldn't mind capitalizing on the low prices of DDR2 but I'm not sure if I would somehow be limiting the 1333FSB or processor.

The asus striker 2 formula seems to be a descent board and fits the bill but is a little pricey atm. Maybe something else is just around the corner?

Any recommendations?
Old April 13, 2008, 11:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

The "1333MHz" processors actually have a real FSB of 333MHz. Intel multiplies it by 4 for some stupid reason (anyone care to elaborate?). The 1066MHz memory actually runs at 533MHz, so your RAM would actually be running faster than the FSB, so you shouldn't need to worry about the difference in speeds at all. This RAM would also be good for overclocking a Q9450. Since they have a low multi (8) you'd be able to run a higher FSB without having the RAM limit you.

For the motherboard, I personally would get an Intel based motherboard, such as a P35/X38. Since you don't need SLI, you'd most likely be better off going with an Intel chipset. I would recommend the DFI X38-T2R which is ~$270 at NCIX. And another reason to get a non-nVidia chipset is (from what I've read) they still have a lot of the same problems the 680i had, being hard drive/memory issues.
Old April 13, 2008, 11:28 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

** CR beat me to the punch so this is mostly repetitive...damn me and my long winded slow replies **

first off, FSB 1333 is a marketing term as is Mem 1066. FSB is actually 333MHz and the memory you speak of is 533MHz. assuming you are not overclocking, that means you are working with a FSB of 333MHz. this means you have the option of running 1:1 with DDR2-667 memory or any number of dividers depending on the MB. at 333FSB, a nice option is to run the 2:3 ratio which puts the memory at 500MHz or DDR2-1000. which PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) obviously would run. plus, it would give you some nice headroom for overclocking if you should do that down the road.

personally with the prices of DDR2, i would just grab a PC2-8000 or PC2-8500 2x2GB kit of memory for your setup. for your needs, more memory will be more of a benefit than faster memory IMO.

as for a board...i was just wanting to provide some info on the logistics of your potential setup, not recommend a board. there are just too many options but i would be looking at P35 boards because of price and maturity. X38/X48 is just too overpriced for the gains over P35, and not really worth it for someone with your needs from the sound of it. P35, 2x2GB of RAM, and a solid single GPU and you should be set. HTH
Old April 13, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
Intel multiplies it by 4 for some stupid reason (anyone care to elaborate?).
Quadpumped.
Old April 13, 2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Quadpumped.
and a more detailed explanation would be that quadpumped means that for every clock cycle of the bus, 4 transactions happen. thus creating an effective bus speed of 1333 but in reality it is only running at 333MHz, just performing like a 1333MHz single transaction bus would.

this is the same for DDR memory. a transaction occurs on the upstream and downstream of data, so for every 'clock cycle' there are two transactions. again, 400MHz is still just 400MHz but it is performing like an 800MHz single transaction cycle. thus the term DDR2-800. when companies say, DDR2-800MHz...they are lying. they all do it and don't care...marketing 101, higher numbers = better, whether they are the truth or not.

400MHz = DDR-800 // DDR-800 != 800MHz // 800MHz = DDR-1600

nothing drives me crazier than someone saying they have DDR2 running at 800MHz, so don't let me catch any of you using that terminology...ask Michael, he knows what happens
Old April 14, 2008, 12:25 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated! I wont be Overclocking this rig anytime soon but I will eventually.

3oh6, when you say memory dividers, does that mean I need to tweak something to get the higher speed ram to work on the system? So to get a 2:3 ratio working I would need to edit some bios settings?

Sorry if it's newb-ish but I'm just asking to be sure.
Old April 14, 2008, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt View Post
3oh6, when you say memory dividers, does that mean I need to tweak something to get the higher speed ram to work on the system? So to get a 2:3 ratio working I would need to edit some bios settings?

Sorry if it's newb-ish but I'm just asking to be sure.
no worries.

it depends on the board and memory but there is a pretty good chance you will have to go into the settings and set not only the memory ratio, but also the vDIMM and timings of the memory. the defaults on most kits are designed to run looser and slower than ratings in order to ensure they boot on all motherboards because default DDR2 voltage is less than these kits are rated for.