Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   I'm an idiot (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/55532-im-idiot.html)

rfglass July 16, 2012 04:56 PM

I'm an idiot

I have a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 mobo Version 1.1 and have been installing drivers for Version 1.0 :doh: (all mobo drivers). and yes mobo worked fine when it would post,3 outta 10 restarts, The wifey says I have a terrible memory, guess she is right but not gonna let her know that, I have installed the correct version drivers and all these headaches I have had for the last month are now gone.Hopefully :thumb:

SlickEnuf4U July 16, 2012 05:10 PM

If the issue is at POST, drivers won't affect anything.

le2key July 16, 2012 06:02 PM

Don't worry, things like this is what makes life fun.

Don't worry, things like this is what makes life fun. (just in case you forgot)

rfglass July 17, 2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickEnuf4U (Post 642618)
If the issue is at POST, drivers won't affect anything.

Even if it wrong bios version?

dandelioneater July 17, 2012 09:32 AM

Drivers wouldn't affect the boards ability to post, as the OS and drivers aren't loaded yet. I'm not sure what bios version you have, but if you have post issues it may be worthwhile to look into a bios update. I had issues as well with that board. I'm sure gigabyte has a mature bios out for that board by now. Also, be thankful that you have the v1.1 board revision. V1.0 didn't have support for LLC.:blarg:

KaptCrunch July 17, 2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfglass (Post 642712)
Even if it wrong bios version?

you are very lucky that system boots again

need to know now that version and revision aren't the same thing for motherboards

REV: is when MB manufacture change a chip hardware on MB

VER: is software updates for I/O chipsets

now if you flashed wrong firmware info to MB chipset (like shove a chevy part on a ford) becomes DOA on next boot

so next time find out what you have before any updates

MB model and its REV so you can get the correct drivers/firmware. MSI, gigabyte are noted for REV on products

dadzilla July 25, 2012 10:16 AM

Hey - I'm an idiot as well. We should start a club!

Perineum July 25, 2012 10:22 AM

My experience with Gigabyte boards has been 50/50 at best, jus' sayin.

Arinoth July 25, 2012 10:24 AM

Same here, I've had lets see 3/5 gigabyte motherboards that have had issues. Two were lower end inexpensive ones that weren't worth RMA due to how far and expensive it is to send it to them. The last one you can search here to see my first negative then satisfactory experience with them from about 1.5 years ago.

I will say this, never going to buy another GB board myself though.

Nodscene July 25, 2012 11:34 AM

I'm in the same boat, I avoid Gigabyte boards and don't recommend them when asked. I think their cold boot bug has been around for close to a decade now.