Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2012, 07:43 AM
Trial Member

Lightbulb Traditionnal SSD + HDD setup VS Asus SSD Caching ?

Hey guys

(First Post woot!)

Recently, I bought the Asus P9X79 Pro and I'm struggling to decide between activate the SSD Caching feature that comes with the board. Its a new feature from Asus that "Use the SSD, as an Intelligent Cache".

It looks all great but what about the real the real numbers ? I know that the boot time and shutdown time are greatly reduce compare to the traditionnal HDD. It dosen't really affect me since I rarely shutdown my PC.

Does this apply on all the HDD ? Does my games will load faster?

Right now I have a traditionnal SDD + HDD setup where I install my OS and very few games on my SSD and everything else is on my HDD.

I have a 120GB SSD from OCZ (OCZ Solid 3)<

Thanks guys !
Old July 15, 2012, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you rarely shutdown your PC, as you say, then caching can be beneficial. From what I remember reading about caching, loading applications initially will be similar to or mirror regular HDD loading. Subsequent loading of those same applications will be similar to SSD loading, as they'll be cached.

Still, I'd much rather prefer my OS, regular apps and a few games on my 120GB SSD and then extra games and storage on my HDD.

Tags
ssd caching x79 asus