Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2007, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
yup- i have the new revision on order, though- interested to see if that makes a difference
Theres a setting in your bios called "Dynamic Fan Control", is that where you are going?
Old March 14, 2007, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I go into system monitor- and yeah, i think from there i hav ebeen going to dynamic fan control- wow- how the heck do you know that bios? you got one too?
Old March 14, 2007, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I go into system monitor- and yeah, i think from there i hav ebeen going to dynamic fan control- wow- how the heck do you know that bios? you got one too?
I read manuals :P

Grab nTune if you don't already have it to see if you can manually adjust fan speed through that and see if it makes a diff on the actual fan.
Old March 14, 2007, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok- it was set to automatic settings- they were already reading 100%- I set it to manual anyway and left the sliders at 100% but the fan speed is still only 1000 rpm
Old March 14, 2007, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Strange- the cpu fan seems to be picking up!!!- ten minutes after i did that for some reason- temps dropping......rage subsiding......feeling.......calm....

I hope it's permanent this time- I really appreciate the help ebanerif!- I'll trying resetting my overclcok and see how it works-- I'll keep you posted.
Old March 14, 2007, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

****! - just as soon as I wrote that, the fan slowed down again and the temps are climbing back up- At least now I'm sure that the cpu fan is my problem now (that and the faulty temp sensors)
Old March 14, 2007, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
****! - just as soon as I wrote that, the fan slowed down again and the temps are climbing back up- At least now I'm sure that the cpu fan is my problem now (that and the faulty temp sensors)
Yah sounds like your thermal sensors might be out to lunch :(
Old March 14, 2007, 01:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wonder if I could rma the cpu based on that
Old March 15, 2007, 09:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well- In case someone else with a simlar problem stumbles on this thread, this is what I've come up with:

nvidia 6**i boards with C2D's seem to be particularly prone to having TJunction temps that are registering too low. Tjunction is the temp as reported by TAT and CoreTemp- these are sensors located within the chip and are supposed to be 12 to 15 degrees hotter than Tcase temps as reported by SpeedFan. If you find that your tjunction temps are lower than tcase- then there's a problem with one of the sensors or the software that reports it (sometimes flashing to a new bios can help) but to play safe you should clock and volt down and keep that Tcase (SpeedFan) temp from going above 50 degrees (which is about 65 on TAT if all is working correctly).

Unfortunately for me, I just discovered this after months of running my cpu at 40 idle, and 55 load- which it turns out is really 62 idle, and 77 load -I'm sure it has reached over 80 at times. The reason that it was allowed to get so hot is that my CPU heatsink fan is controlled by the Tjunction temps which were reading 22 degrees too low, and the CPU throttling which shuts it down if it gets too hot also operated based on that temp. So it would seem that I have been slowly cooking my C2D over the last couple of months. I'm really pissed, but I guess that's they way she goes- I don't mind having to get a new one, but I doubt I'll be able to get a good stepping like I had, and that's what really ticks me off.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; March 15, 2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old March 15, 2007, 01:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Before you give up completely on your chip, have you tried resetting the cmos and starting again from default settings? (A full battery removed/PSU unplugged/ longer than normal reset might be in order).

Whenever I start seeing wierd things on my computer related to bios controlled settings I try a reset on the off chance that a bit got misplaced.

It might not be the solution to your problem, but it doesn't cost you a cent and it's not hard to get back to where you were.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP