Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2007, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I ran into some instability today- wouldn't play COH without restarting, so I tried it "linked and synched" at 400fsb 1:1 to see if it was more stable, but it actually seemed worse- orthos stopped almost instantly. So I ended up unlinking and dropping the cpu back to 3.0GHz and it's ok- just leaves me wondering whatthe hell is going on
Old March 13, 2007, 11:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Is your ram voltage high enough to support the speeds you want?

Don't forget some conroes can only be pushed so far before they gag.
Old March 14, 2007, 06:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

my ram is at 2.1 which is normal for it, and my system has been stable for months at 3.4GHz, yesterday (haven't put it back up yet) it was unstable at even 3.2- you think the silicon has migrated on the chip or something? according to TAT, I have never pushed the temperatures -
Old March 14, 2007, 09:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My A.C.Freezer Pro 7 cpu fan is only turning at just over 1000 rpm and I can't figure out how to get it to go faster- I've turned them all up to 100% in the bios and I've done it in speedfan too- that cooler will turn up to 2500 rpm so I know it's not a limitation of the cooler
Old March 14, 2007, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

I think with the fan you may have to turn control of of it off in the bios :( or get a fan controller for it. My CPU is passively cooled so I don't worry about that :)

In regards to your ram if you've never overheated the ram or pushed it to far it should be fine.

In regards to the CPU i have heard of rare cases of which that once you overclock your CPU to a point, trying to downclock it may not work again.
Old March 14, 2007, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks! I appreciate the input- My cpu cooler is supposed to be variable speed, but if you think turning control off would help, I'll sure try it- do you know how it's done? Should I try plugging the connector in somewhere else?

I'm starting to thik that the problem initiated from having bad Tjunction temperature sensors that were reading much too low, and since the fan speeds are based on those temps, the fans weren't engaging when they should so that my cpu has been slightly toasted- I'd still like to figure out how to get those fan speeds up to prevent further toasting.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; March 14, 2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old March 14, 2007, 11:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Thanks! I appreciate the input- My cpu cooler is supposed to be variable speed, but if you think turning control off would help, I'll sure try it- do you know how it's done? Should I try plugging the connector in somewhere else?

I'm starting to thik that the problem initiated from having bad Tjunction temperature sensors that were reading much too low, and since the fan speeds are based on those temps, the fans weren't engaging when they should so that my cpu has been slightly toasted- I'd still like to figure out how to get those fan speeds up to prevent further toasting.
Theres an option in your bios that allows automatic adjustment of fan speed or "throttling". I'd try turning that off and see what happens.
Old March 14, 2007, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Mine seems to only allow "Auto" or "Manual" manual allows you to adjust the %- I now have it on manual and set to 100%

Maybe I'll try switching it back to "Auto"
Old March 14, 2007, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Mine seems to only allow "Auto" or "Manual" manual allows you to adjust the %- I now have it on manual and set to 100%

Maybe I'll try switching it back to "Auto"
You running the Evga 680i?
Old March 14, 2007, 12:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yup- i have the new revision on order, though- interested to see if that makes a difference