Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2012, 11:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Z77 boards and "Intel" Raid?

Hey guys,

Was just wondering,Ive noticed alot of the Z77 chipset boards support Raid,But a lot of them in the description do not mention if its "Intel" raid or those crappy alternative controlers.

Is all Z77 boards have Intel Raid?

This is the board im looking at.

MSI Z77A-G43 S1155

OR

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H

Would the raid on that board be good for 2x vertex 2 60gb SSDs in Raid 0?
Old June 23, 2012, 06:41 PM
Allstar

It is the same basic type of RAID that Intel introduced with it's Intel Matrix Storage and now calls Rapid Storage Technology. It relies on software drivers for full functionality. You will not find a true "hardware" RAID controller on a consumer grade desktop motherboard. RAID 0 is a misnomer as there is no redundancy and actually increases the risk of data loss.
Old June 24, 2012, 07:22 AM
Top Prospect

since many of the ssd's are already tapping out the bandwidth of sata III, I don't think doing a raid 0 would bring any benefit.
Old June 24, 2012, 07:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Would the raid on that board be good for 2x vertex 2 60gb SSDs in Raid 0?
yes. I have run ssd raid 0 for some time over the past few years and I liked it a lot. there one caveat though. Until Intel RST 11.5 is released you will not have Trim support for your array. There is some good news though, it may not be that long till 11.5 comes out!
Old June 24, 2012, 08:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
since many of the ssd's are already tapping out the bandwidth of sata III, I don't think doing a raid 0 would bring any benefit.
IMO you are way off the mark there. He is using Vertex 2 drives. There will be a large improvement for him. As well I would say that even if he was using M4's or a pair of Chronos Deluxe or Max IOPS drives there would still be an improvement by going to raid 0. Each drive may come close to saturating its own channel under unique circumstances (atto,as ssd etc testing is not real world) but that does not mean that raid 0 will show no benefits over a singe drive!!
Old June 25, 2012, 04:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the only benefit to running raid 0 with smaller capacity ssd's would be the better bang for the buck. Usually a 120GB capacity drive will cost more than 2 60GB drives combined. I can tell you that you really won't notice much of an increase in performance with raid 0 over non-raid in real world usage (sure, benchmarks will show almost a doubling in read and writes but you yourself won't really "feel" like there has been much of an increase). The near instantaneous access time won't get any faster either. I don't think that giving up TRIM is worth it for 2 ssd raid 0 as the raid volume's performance will degrade overtime without TRIM. You need 4 ssd's and a dedicated raid card for it to be worth it IMO.
Old June 25, 2012, 06:17 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post
IMO you are way off the mark there. He is using Vertex 2 drives. There will be a large improvement for him. As well I would say that even if he was using M4's or a pair of Chronos Deluxe or Max IOPS drives there would still be an improvement by going to raid 0. Each drive may come close to saturating its own channel under unique circumstances (atto,as ssd etc testing is not real world) but that does not mean that raid 0 will show no benefits over a singe drive!!
well lets go over a couple of details. let me know if I error somewhere...

ok, raid 0 serves one purpose and only one purpose. faster speeds, right?

ok.

the maximum bandwidth of sata 3 is 600MB/s, which is theoretical only, since there's always some overhead.

ssd's are already in the mid to upper 500MB/s range.

so you put a pair of them, into a channel of data that maxes out at a theoretical 600MB/s... where exactly is the improvement going to come from?

I mean if it does somehow, then great. But I just don't see it.
Old June 25, 2012, 06:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post

ok.

the maximum bandwidth of sata 3 is 600MB/s, which is theoretical only, since there's always some overhead.

so you put a pair of them, into a channel of data that maxes out at a theoretical 600MB/s... where exactly is the improvement going to come from?

2 drives and 2 sata 3 channels. you can double your numbers.

this is coming from my 4 month old, no trim, almost full raid set. not nearly what it used to be but, not too shabby either.

Last edited by wirerogue; June 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old June 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post

ok.

its not a drive with two controllers inside....its two drives with their own controller on their own SATA port.