Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2012, 02:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default ASUS Crosshair V Formula BIOS Questions

Hello HWC.

I recived this motherboard because of my old one having a very strange issue with my PCI-E network card not allowing it to shutdown and sound issues on restart/shutdown also (PCI Controller issue?) So I got this one as a replacement instead. (Thank you Soullessone21).

Now this board is pretty awesome and a total over kill for my needs but hey, we always want more then we need right! Anyhow, there are some differences with this BIOS then the M5A99X Evo I had and I was hoping the community could help me.

I dont overclock. I have a AMD 965BE, single GPU with just one HDD and a HCG-620M PSU. Pretty simple PC user here so just looking for settings to keep things cool and quiet but I dont want anything to overheat plus I dont need things enabled that I wont use like IEEE. I do some light gaming like WoW, SC2 and D3 and just net stuff. So, onto the list, heh.

Cool n' Quiet [Disabled] - Shouldn't this be enabled for me? My HSF runs at 2000RPM if its not controlled (CM Hyper 212 Evo)

C1E[Disabled] - Should I Enabled this? Not sure what it is, does it have to do with the CPU lowering its multiplier while its doing simple tasks?

CPU PWM Phase Control [Extreme] - No idea what this is for, the EVO had it set to Standard. I think it has to do with making the CPU have full power 24/7. Im not a power user so I was thinkign Standard.

ASM1061 [Enabled - ACHI] - This is for another SATA controller, correct? I can disable this one I think? Again no idea though.

ErP [Disabled] - The EVO had this enabled, not sure if I should change it to Enabled not sure what it is for really.

iROG Time Keeper [Last State] - No idea what this is for, disable?

ROG Connect[Enabled] - I dont think I need this feature, the DIP switch on the mobo is switched to OFF anyways by default. Ok to disable it in BIOS and whats it really for?

RC Poster Mode [String] - No idea what this is and no idea what the ideal setting would be.

CPU Q-Fan Control [Disabled] - The EVO had it enabled. This controls the fan depending on the heat and temp of the CPU so the HSF isnt going at 2000RMP 100%. It would be ok to enable for my needs.

That's all I saw that kinda made me scratch my head. Is there anything else you could suggest in the BIOS? Also, should I use ACHI mode for my SATA? I've always used IDE b/c some people have told me ACHI can lead to more problems.

Again, im not a power user and I like to surf the net and play the few games once in awhile. I dont have a ton of time to game with our little one learning to crawl everywhere!

Last edited by ExpendableG4M3R; June 5, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old June 5, 2012, 02:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The first 2 have to do with throttling the clock speeds back when they arent needed to be high to save power and a bit of heat. YOu can set the phase control to standard if your not overclocking. SHould be a sata controller but leave it. ErP im not sure but if the last board had it enabled then enable it? Rog connect can be turned off (for extreme overclocking) and the poster thing im not sure again but its not hurting anything and if the q-fan was turned on before turn it on again?
Old June 5, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Cool n' Quiet [Disabled] - Enable you do not over clock or water cool so this is a good feature
C1E[Disabled]- Enable again you dont overclock good for power management I believe
CPU PWM Phase Control [Extreme] - Go Over to Standard again you dont over clock haha
ASM1061 [Enabled - ACHI] - just leave as is
ErP [Disabled] - (Is this not for power management and you need a suitable PSU, I would say keep it off)
iROG Time Keeper [Last State] -(not sure I always leave this as last state)
ROG Connect[Enabled] -Disable you dont need it
RC Poster Mode [String] - (leave as is dont think it will effect anything but could be wrong)
CPU Q-Fan Control [Disabled] - Enable and I set to auto

The board is really smart and very very stable think its time to throw windows on that power house
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old June 5, 2012, 05:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hey thanks guys. I had the exact same feelings as you on the options.

Can't wait to turn this sucker on tonight. I just really really hope the Vcore this time will be a lot lower. That M5A99X kept it at 1.44 at stock :(