Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3, 2012, 07:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
If it's the exact same board there is absolutely no reason to reformat and reinstall. Frankly you will just be wasting your time.
Yeah, I'm just getting a replacement board. Exact same thing.
Old June 3, 2012, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've replaced many motherboards in systems where I've had to move forward with an old OS install.

Formatting is definitely NOT required. Windows 7 "just works". WinXP required a repair install in order to work. These machines have 4 month uptimes and no BSODs either.

I also have very happy clients.

If the system is currently living then uninstall the non-required software. IE: if AMD card is being pulled and Nvidia is going in then uninstall all AMD software, shut down and switch.

If system is down due to dead motherboard then let Win7 boot up and take as much time as it wants to "feel" normal again.... then uninstall all non needed software drivers, etc.

My own system has been through this many, many times as it's morphed through the years, I have zero complaints. Everything just works.

Last edited by Perineum; June 3, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old June 3, 2012, 08:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I've replaced many motherboards in systems where I've had to move forward with an old OS install.

Formatting is definitely NOT required. Windows 7 "just works". WinXP required a repair install in order to work. These machines have 4 month uptimes and no BSODs either.

I also have very happy clients.

If the system is currently living then uninstall the non-required software. IE: if AMD card is being pulled and Nvidia is going in then uninstall all AMD software, shut down and switch.

If system is down due to dead motherboard then let Win7 boot up and take as much time as it wants to "feel" normal again.... then uninstall all non needed software drivers, etc.

My own system has been through this many, many times as it's morphed through the years, I have zero complaints. Everything just works.
Well I'm glad to hear this! Gonna save me a lot of time. I just got this new SSD and I already had to reinstall all my stuff. Went to plug it into my Sata 3 ports and turns out my board was defective and none of the ports were working. RMA'd it, sending it in tomorrow. Hopefully I get it back as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old June 6, 2012, 07:46 PM
Rookie

bvsbutthd101,

That's pretty crappy to hear that you're having problems again with your Sata 3 ports again. If you're on the same board with the same chipset then as the others have said, you don't need to format it. I've done the same thing before and it works no problem. Good luck with your new RMA mobo and hopefully it works this time.
Old June 6, 2012, 08:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelubc View Post
bvsbutthd101,

That's pretty crappy to hear that you're having problems again with your Sata 3 ports again. If you're on the same board with the same chipset then as the others have said, you don't need to format it. I've done the same thing before and it works no problem. Good luck with your new RMA mobo and hopefully it works this time.
"again" Well this is the first time I'm having trouble with my Sata 3 because I just got this Sata 3 SSD. Never had a drive to use Sata 3 but when I purchased this SSD I found out that my Sata 3 ports weren't working.
Old June 9, 2012, 04:53 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

no you should not have to but:
if your old install was unstable\old a clean install could be due.

-just putting this out there:
-another option I might use , is this one ,when I move from x58 to z77
Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer - Windows 7 Forums