Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2012, 07:57 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Why Bulldozer became Faildozer, Anandtech explore's/explains why it has/did

While HWC's has been down i stumbled onto this great article posted on anandtech which seems to explain why bulldozer didnt apease folks beside's the bad marketing:

AnandTech - The Bulldozer Aftermath: Delving Even Deeper

After reading it, it makes alot of sence & also gives some hope for piledriver revisioned FX chips.
Old June 1, 2012, 08:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I saw this on the techreport as well and it does provide some interesting insight into the issue
Old June 2, 2012, 04:08 PM
Top Prospect

I think pile driver was released this week.
Old June 2, 2012, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
I think pile driver was released this week.
Trinity was, Piledriver based FX chips are set to start running off the line begining of Q3 aka july - sept timeframe.
Old June 3, 2012, 08:40 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Trinity was, Piledriver based FX chips are set to start running off the line begining of Q3 aka july - sept timeframe.
Tha would explain why the BD chips are coming down in price/Reduced for sale.

Old June 3, 2012, 08:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk View Post
Tha would explain why the BD chips are coming down in price/Reduced for sale.

I think the fact that absolutely nobody is buying them probably has a lot more to do with it. I'm not even sure if I've seen any budget big box (acer, etc....) builds with BD chips in them.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 3, 2012, 09:08 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I think the fact that absolutely nobody is buying them probably has a lot more to do with it. I'm not even sure if I've seen any budget big box (acer, etc....) builds with BD chips in them.
Yeh C and C has dropped the price on the AMD stock, not a lot but still not bad for an 8 core chip.I was in Best Buy the other day and they are all pretty well intel pre builds there.

Old June 3, 2012, 10:25 AM
Allstar

The articles seems to reinforce what several folks have said along. Bulldozer was never aimed at the deskto/maintream market but at the server world. Sadly it didn't live up to the hype. Be nice if Piledriver can recover the ball.
Old June 3, 2012, 12:02 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Be nice if Piledriver can recover the ball.
Don't get your hopes up too much. The current projected performance gain is 10% to 15%? Would this mean it will match 2500K consistently on game benchmarks?
Old June 3, 2012, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Don't get your hopes up too much. The current projected performance gain is 10% to 15%? Would this mean it will match 2500K consistently on game benchmarks?
It already matches a 2500k .... it would make it more like how it was supost to be = to the 2600k ... And apparently as the article points out the FX chips seem to funtion as intented under linux platforms = intel preformance when comparing them.

Even then your argument realy doesnt have much of a leg to stand on when you factor in Intel themselves REALY havent done jack crap for anything breakneck in preformance gains if you go neheim>sandy bridge>ivy bridge ..... each time all they have done is a up to 20% more gain in preformance in some aspects & maybe a up to 10% overall each time.

The trinity preview/reviews that are out there atm already show the improvements in piledriver, the hope then is that translates into more so in the upcoming FX chips which IF amd did adress what was seen & pointed out in the article, then the FX chips will preform like sandy's, scale better then ivy fails can & IF amd can keep the pricing around where it is now .... they will make sales.