Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Why Bulldozer became Faildozer, Anandtech explore's/explains why it has/did (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/54364-why-bulldozer-became-faildozer-anandtech-explores-explains-why-has-did.html)

terrybear June 1, 2012 08:57 PM

Why Bulldozer became Faildozer, Anandtech explore's/explains why it has/did

While HWC's has been down i stumbled onto this great article posted on anandtech which seems to explain why bulldozer didnt apease folks beside's the bad marketing:

AnandTech - The Bulldozer Aftermath: Delving Even Deeper

After reading it, it makes alot of sence & also gives some hope for piledriver revisioned FX chips.

BigPhatPaulie June 1, 2012 09:48 PM

I saw this on the techreport as well and it does provide some interesting insight into the issue

Stosh June 2, 2012 05:08 PM

I think pile driver was released this week.

terrybear June 2, 2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stosh (Post 631274)
I think pile driver was released this week.

Trinity was, Piledriver based FX chips are set to start running off the line begining of Q3 aka july - sept timeframe.

norfolk June 3, 2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrybear (Post 631298)
Trinity was, Piledriver based FX chips are set to start running off the line begining of Q3 aka july - sept timeframe.

Tha would explain why the BD chips are coming down in price/Reduced for sale.

sswilson June 3, 2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norfolk (Post 631412)
Tha would explain why the BD chips are coming down in price/Reduced for sale.

I think the fact that absolutely nobody is buying them probably has a lot more to do with it. I'm not even sure if I've seen any budget big box (acer, etc....) builds with BD chips in them.

norfolk June 3, 2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 631419)
I think the fact that absolutely nobody is buying them probably has a lot more to do with it. I'm not even sure if I've seen any budget big box (acer, etc....) builds with BD chips in them.

Yeh C and C has dropped the price on the AMD stock, not a lot but still not bad for an 8 core chip.I was in Best Buy the other day and they are all pretty well intel pre builds there.

NyteOwl June 3, 2012 11:25 AM

The articles seems to reinforce what several folks have said along. Bulldozer was never aimed at the deskto/maintream market but at the server world. Sadly it didn't live up to the hype. Be nice if Piledriver can recover the ball.

moocow June 3, 2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NyteOwl (Post 631452)
Be nice if Piledriver can recover the ball.

Don't get your hopes up too much. The current projected performance gain is 10% to 15%? Would this mean it will match 2500K consistently on game benchmarks?

terrybear June 3, 2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moocow (Post 631500)
Don't get your hopes up too much. The current projected performance gain is 10% to 15%? Would this mean it will match 2500K consistently on game benchmarks?

It already matches a 2500k .... it would make it more like how it was supost to be = to the 2600k ... And apparently as the article points out the FX chips seem to funtion as intented under linux platforms = intel preformance when comparing them.

Even then your argument realy doesnt have much of a leg to stand on when you factor in Intel themselves REALY havent done jack crap for anything breakneck in preformance gains if you go neheim>sandy bridge>ivy bridge ..... each time all they have done is a up to 20% more gain in preformance in some aspects & maybe a up to 10% overall each time.

The trinity preview/reviews that are out there atm already show the improvements in piledriver, the hope then is that translates into more so in the upcoming FX chips which IF amd did adress what was seen & pointed out in the article, then the FX chips will preform like sandy's, scale better then ivy fails can & IF amd can keep the pricing around where it is now .... they will make sales.