Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2012, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Why in the world is El DOnko the only one that suggested a quad core even though this gentleman specifically stated his computer was for gaming but he wants a hyperthreader.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:41 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
Why in the world is El DOnko the only one that suggested a quad core even though this gentleman specifically stated his computer was for gaming but he wants a hyperthreader.
oh geez yeah, duh. the whole time I was thinking 2500k. I was even going to post the link for microcenter for the $189 pricing.
Old May 18, 2012, 03:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
oh geez yeah, duh. the whole time I was thinking 2500k. I was even going to post the link for microcenter for the $189 pricing.

hi i like you idea, but if i want the i7 3770k which mother board you recomendate and what case ,cooler psu and rams ,
for that cpu i think of those

gigabyte z77x-ud5h

sabretooh z77

p8z77-v lx

p8z77-v pro

or you know better ones?
Old May 18, 2012, 04:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

ok, firstly.. What was your old pc? (what Processor?) because for all we know you had a decent quad core and only need a new psu and more ram..

Second.. the amount your spending on processor and motherboard etc should go into a new GPU..
The biggest difference you will see in any game will come from a better GPU(until it's better than your screen)

My opinion is that if you have a 560 ti in your machine then it's not THAT old and you may only need a couple of upgrades if it's not totally dead.

If it is dead, then I would suggest the cheapest of an i5 2500k with at z68 board OR an i5 3570k with a z77 board.
A CM 212+ for a heatsink.
8GB ram (2x4GB 1600Mhz)
1TB HDD of your choice (I'm a W&D fan.. Black drives are good)
Corsair, xfx, Antec branded 650 Watt PSU
A Nice case, I really like the Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition White Review but it is expensive and there are very good cheaper options (cm haf 912 etc)
Finally.. a GTX 670.. (this will last you a few years and to really get the absolute best out of it you would need a better monitor.. So you know it's gonna last longer than your monitor is..)

That should come to roughly 1200.. maybe a little over but price-match and catch sales and you'll get it..

Although many rant and rave about how fast a SSD makes their system.. if your gaming then you won't see any gain EXCEPT load times will half(depending on what it is..) for windows, games apps etc..
While your in a game you will load it fast.. and then nothing.. The GPU will make more difference more of the time in almost any newer game and is in my opinion the better investment..
Again I would put a decent screen above an SSD.. you look at it so much it may as well bet a good one.
Old May 18, 2012, 04:49 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by karolis View Post
hi i like you idea, but if i want the i7 3770k which mother board you recomendate and what case ,cooler psu and rams ,
for that cpu i think of those

gigabyte z77x-ud5h

sabretooh z77

p8z77-v lx

p8z77-v pro

or you know better ones?
Well you said this was for gaming, right? The reason everyone mentions the 2500k so much here, is that it's nearly as fast as the more expensive i7 processors when it comes to gaming. The i7 line has multi threading, and unless you're looking for that specifically, the 2500k is an excellent bargain.

As far as the motherboards go, there's a lot of great motherboards you can choose from.
But that's one of the good things about a forum like this. You get to take advantage of the experience others have had with various models.
In this case, i'm going with the Asus Sabertooth, because others here have either had excellent results with it, or have read of them.
Old May 18, 2012, 06:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
ok, firstly.. What was your old pc? (what Processor?) because for all we know you had a decent quad core and only need a new psu and more ram..

Second.. the amount your spending on processor and motherboard etc should go into a new GPU..
The biggest difference you will see in any game will come from a better GPU(until it's better than your screen)

My opinion is that if you have a 560 ti in your machine then it's not THAT old and you may only need a couple of upgrades if it's not totally dead.

If it is dead, then I would suggest the cheapest of an i5 2500k with at z68 board OR an i5 3570k with a z77 board.
A CM 212+ for a heatsink.
8GB ram (2x4GB 1600Mhz)
1TB HDD of your choice (I'm a W&D fan.. Black drives are good)
Corsair, xfx, Antec branded 650 Watt PSU
A Nice case, I really like the Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition White Review but it is expensive and there are very good cheaper options (cm haf 912 etc)
Finally.. a GTX 670.. (this will last you a few years and to really get the absolute best out of it you would need a better monitor.. So you know it's gonna last longer than your monitor is..)

That should come to roughly 1200.. maybe a little over but price-match and catch sales and you'll get it..

Although many rant and rave about how fast a SSD makes their system.. if your gaming then you won't see any gain EXCEPT load times will half(depending on what it is..) for windows, games apps etc..
While your in a game you will load it fast.. and then nothing.. The GPU will make more difference more of the time in almost any newer game and is in my opinion the better investment..
Again I would put a decent screen above an SSD.. you look at it so much it may as well bet a good one.

my old pc was psu alpine 650w

cpu amd athlon ii x4 645

mobo asrock n68c-s ucc

4gb rams 1600mhz

gpu msi gtx 560 ti twin frozen

500gb hard drive
Old May 18, 2012, 06:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thats kinda border line upgrade material..

If you really want a new pc.. then you will see an improvment.. But the AMD is still quite decent (If it's not dead)..
Old May 18, 2012, 07:03 AM
Rookie

what do you mean?
Old May 18, 2012, 08:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Thats kinda border line upgrade material..

If you really want a new pc.. then you will see an improvment.. But the AMD is still quite decent (If it's not dead)..
Well it's not slow, for sure. But even at stock speeds, the 2500k benchmarks almost twice as fast.
Old May 18, 2012, 08:19 AM
Rookie

can you give me link of what motherboard bes for i5 2500k?