Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15, 2012, 07:39 AM
Top Prospect

Default See if you guys can one-up Intel's tech support.

Heh, I just contacted Intel to find out which sata speeds the mSata connector will get on their Intel DH77DF Mini-ITX board.

On that board, the mSata connector is tied into the pci-express channel.

Well this could be sata II or sata III speeds.
The Intel guy was sure I was talking about an adapter on the sata connectors.

I literally had to link him Intel's own website page for him to realize what I was asking, and then he simply said it would be capable of sata III, although he couldn't link why he knew this.

So the $64,000 question is whether this connector really will do sata III speeds.
Because if it will, this solves a big problem for me. I wanted a mini-itx build with three sata III connectors, and this allows me a workaround on all the Intel boards only having two.

Newegg link for the board Newegg.com - Intel BOXDH77DF LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

And the Intel link with downloadable product brief that shows a motherboard map:
Intel® Desktop Board DH77DF Media Series: Product Brief
Old May 15, 2012, 08:03 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Even though PCI Express Mini Card slot does support mSata, it's still going to just route it back to the SATA controller. And since the controller only supports SATAIII on the two blue connectors, you're only going to get SATAII speeds from the Mini Card slot.

I'm just going off deduction from the tech specs (page 27):

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/2095...ProdSpec01.pdf

"The PCH provides independent SATA ports with a theoretical maximum transfer rate of
6.0 Gb/s for two ports and 3.0 Gb/s for five ports."

I have no definitive answer or proof, just deduction.

Edit: And from searching around the net, I have not found a single board that outright supports SATAIII on the PCI Express Mini Card slot. So the answer is likely no.

In fact, every review I've seen of a SATAIII msata drive was using an adapter to convert it. Despite them all proclaiming that they are a godsend for laptops, not a single review actually USED a small form factor board or laptop to test it.

The Intel guy wasn't wrong though. It will support SATAIII drives. Just not running at SATAIII speeds.

Last edited by Jebusman; May 15, 2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:38 AM
Top Prospect

That certainly could be the case here, but while I was digging around on this, I found a link where Gigabyte has stated that they will be offering boards (this year) where the msata connector runs at sata III speeds.
That was actually what made me contact Intel. Seeing as this is a 77 series Intel board, I thought there might be a possibility that it does this as well.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:01 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I read some where that you may lose your PCIe x1 but the SATA would be running at SATA III speeds.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old May 15, 2012, 09:15 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorejohn46 View Post
I read some where that you may lose your PCIe x1 but the SATA would be running at SATA III speeds.
I'd be ok with that, as I only need the main pci express slot.

I've been looking for that link for the gigabyte boards again, and I can't find it.
And there were a few sites making vague references to "some" boards that can do 6Gb/s speeds on the msata connector, but no links.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I think I was looking at a different board Z68 and it may have been talking about the SATAII anyway.I guess I don't understand what you are looking for.Since they have mini with two SATA III ports.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old May 15, 2012, 12:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
I'd be ok with that, as I only need the main pci express slot.

I've been looking for that link for the gigabyte boards again, and I can't find it.
And there were a few sites making vague references to "some" boards that can do 6Gb/s speeds on the msata connector, but no links.
The fact that you can't find any hard proof of it existing means you should probably abandon the idea or at least think of another way to pull it off. I'm assuming you'll be needing the full PCI-E slot for something else?
Old May 15, 2012, 06:33 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorejohn46 View Post
I think I was looking at a different board Z68 and it may have been talking about the SATAII anyway.I guess I don't understand what you are looking for.Since they have mini with two SATA III ports.
right, but I mentioned in my first post that I want to use 3. that's why the workaround would be important.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Go Big

ASUS Maximus V Gene mATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 CrossFireX SLI 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - ASUS - Maximus V GENE

Matx