Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15, 2012, 08:33 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Their new mobile Ivy Bridge processors may be much better than Sandy Bridge, but we'll see if Trinity leaps above them again (as a bit of an AMD fanboi, I hope they do...)
Oh no doubt it will. But AMD also has a serious problem on that front. The lower end you go in Trinity (as was with Llano), the weaker and weaker the IGP gets.

But with Intel, (with the exception of low voltage models), every single processor has the same IGP, the only difference between them is how high the IGP can turbo boost itself.

What I want to see now is how the lower end IBs compare to the A10, and then how the lower end Trinity processors compare against that.

In the end, how AMD prices these will determine how good they really are. If I could get a laptop where the CPU+GPU only take up 35W, perform moderately well for a wide range of tasks, AND come under $600? Then we have a winner.

But if it comes to the situation where for just an extra $100-150 I could get an IB laptop with discrete graphics, and proceed to stomp Trinity on every benchmark possible? Then we have a problem.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It still looks like a good chip with up to 12 hours on a single charge ,only 17w for a dual core and 35w for a Quad core and is faster the a comparable intel chip IVB according to them,but the HD 7000 series looks like a fast GPU plus if they can sell thier part for a $100 to $150 cheaper,then they should have a winning chip.Then if they can do a die shrink to 22nm and put even a faster IGPU on it and use even less power ,they will be looking good. Plus I think the laptops will do nothing but grow and the tablet-PC is a growing market.I want them to do good.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old May 15, 2012, 10:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorejohn46 View Post
only 17w for a dual core and 35w for a Quad core and is faster the a comparable intel chip IVB according to them
Graphics? Yes.

Everything else? No.

The A10 loses out to a Sandy Bridge era i5 in terms of productivity/general use, can you imagine what happens when compared to Ivy Bridge?
Old May 15, 2012, 10:52 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sorry, why do I need a high performance x86 processing over battery life again?

Can you tell me of ONE real life, general usage, non-benchmark situation where a processor that's about 30% faster will make my computing experience all that much different?
Old May 15, 2012, 11:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

[sarcasm] Ah Sky, you're clearly just biased towards AMD. Maybe you should change your testing methodology to better reflect Intel's successes and their dominance in the X86 market. This article was chock full of ingratiating comments towards AMD. You're obviously in their pay. [/sarcasm]

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old May 15, 2012, 11:34 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

Can you tell me of ONE real life, general usage, non-benchmark situation where a processor that's about 30% faster will make my computing experience all that much different?
You know, that battery life comment is funny, considering in real life, general usage, non-benchmark situations, that SB i5 matches power consumption with the A10. Kind of makes the 2nd point moot if I'm getting comparable battery life.

So let me get this straight here. The TWO (maybe 3) things AMD has going for them right now, is that their laptops can play games on settings "slightly" higher than "Low" (without discrete graphics), and you'll get better battery life during gaming due to the Trinity's more efficient yet powerful IGP. Oh yeah, and maybe price depending.

Like I said, the only thing that is going to determine how great Trinity actually is, is the price. Until I see a HWC review that says otherwise, every single review I've found (with maybe one outlier), has Trinity pegged as a "Good, not amazing" architecture. Depending on the price, that could go from "Good" to "Sweet jesus everyone buy 70 of these"

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
[sarcasm] Ah Sky, you're clearly just biased towards AMD. Maybe you should change your testing methodology to better reflect Intel's successes and their dominance in the X86 market. This article was chock full of ingratiating comments towards AMD. You're obviously in their pay. [/sarcasm]
Man, don't even start. Part of me wanted to write my post exactly like that guy would. But I would need to use a lot more or or

If a HWC review comes up that literally just says "Jebus you're a dirty liar Trinity is the platform of the gods", yes, I'll be willing to take that with grace.

Last edited by Jebusman; May 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Looks like a very good improvement over llano. It will help gain some more momentum for amd apus. They are perfect for a general use laptop with light gaming on the side (hence why I bought an a8 3500m).
Old May 15, 2012, 06:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ok they not worth a dang ,I was just looking at the GPU on them and it looked like it might be faster.I know Sandy-Bridge and Ivory-Bridge are king of the moutain when it come to cpu power.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old May 15, 2012, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

Great post/? & we know most folks reply to it will contain "cause intel is" in them.

Sky is making a point ..... that being that just cause something doesnt have "intel" in or around it does not mean it " garbage " or " un-usable ".

All this Trinity platform is doing is bringing amd closer to those of us "common sence" folks whom will say ... $200 less ... why do i need the more preformance from a simular intel based package again? IF a say 14-15" laptop/netbook can game, play music, do word processing/photo editing, im/chat/skype & other basic to average user multi tasking for say $500. Why then would/should someone pay $200+ more for the same thing accept saying that its a "intel"?
Old May 16, 2012, 04:38 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Great post/? & we know most folks reply to it will contain "cause intel is" in them.

Sky is making a point ..... that being that just cause something doesnt have "intel" in or around it does not mean it " garbage " or " un-usable ".

All this Trinity platform is doing is bringing amd closer to those of us "common sence" folks whom will say ... $200 less ... why do i need the more preformance from a simular intel based package again? IF a say 14-15" laptop/netbook can game, play music, do word processing/photo editing, im/chat/skype & other basic to average user multi tasking for say $500. Why then would/should someone pay $200+ more for the same thing accept saying that its a "intel"?
At no point have I said Trinity is Garbage or Unusable, but that it's that price difference that's going to make all the difference. If it's going to be a $200+ gap for similar performance, then yes, Trinity is going to be a good buy. But if that price gap is closer to $100 and the intel system beats out that Trinity system, then really, you're reaching the point of "Why wouldn't I get the stronger system".

The only other thing I could think Trinity has going for it is their low voltage versions, the 17W ones. Depending on how those play out, it could be a real winner. It all comes down to the price, which is something that no one has any confirmed information about.