Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Gigabyte 890GX motherboard - nic failing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/54136-gigabyte-890gx-motherboard-nic-failing.html)

terrybear May 10, 2012 09:57 AM

Gigabyte 890GX motherboard - nic failing

Just curious as I think the onboard nic might be going on it. Should I even bother to attempt a rma simply cause of the nic when the rest of the board runs fine?

Also if the nic is goin on it, would this realy affect the resell of it much ?

moocow May 10, 2012 10:04 AM

Well you can buy a spare 970 board for around $110 and then RMA the board so you won't get any down time. However, you then have a spare board when it comes back from RMA. The bright side of it is that Piledriver will most likely run on 970 since it's AM3+ (if not I be pissed since I do have a spare 970). However, you're already running a 1090T so I don't know how much benefit upgrading to Piledriver will be. Or you can just buy a $15 NIC and use it until the entire board dies and sell the CPU later. Some dude/gal with an AMD X2II will pick it up for sure.

rfglass May 10, 2012 05:41 PM

wiegh the options,plug in a NIC card and carry on or like moocow mentioned RMA it and buy another mobo,I just got a Gigabyte 990FXA UD3 back from RMA it took 3 weeks , cost me $25 to send it to them

sswilson May 10, 2012 05:48 PM

What are the symptoms?

Reason I'm asking is that we've seen 3 Nic failure threads over the last week and a bit, and that's more than I remember over the whole time that I've been here.... I suspect something funky is going on on the software side of things. (last one apparently was "fixed" by uninstalling/reinstalling both IE and Firefox.

terrybear May 10, 2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 628388)
What are the symptoms?

Reason I'm asking is that we've seen 3 Nic failure threads over the last week and a bit, and that's more than I remember over the whole time that I've been here.... I suspect something funky is going on on the software side of things. (last one apparently was "fixed" by uninstalling/reinstalling both IE and Firefox.

Well for around a month or so i'd be tryin to do some uploading & my connection would keep dropping & more so like yesterday it crapped out 5-6 times, partialy sites where goin thru ... So today earlier in the day I decided to throw my old D-link pci nic in & not had any issue's with it since. The boards I think almost 2 yrs old i think? ... I also remember there being issue's with the realtek lan drivers as well .. which I cant fully conclude/confirm is the issue or not.

sswilson May 10, 2012 06:28 PM

Yeah, sounds like either the nic or something driver specific... the other reported failures were throughput and using a different nic didn't resolve the issue.

I'd say if it's within warranty, and you have some kind of backup, you'd be better off RMAing it especially if you plan on reselling... I know personally that I'd view a used motherboard with a failed component on it dubiously unless it was a really good price.

LarkStarr May 10, 2012 07:44 PM

My Gf's NIC (gigabyte 890 board, forget the specifics..) is really funky too, like it randomly craps out every so often that only a full reboot fixes. It's strange and utterly random, weeks go by without an issue, then it just poops the bed. Tried re-installing the driver and a full reinstall of the OS too, no luck. I'm really not sure, but I'm just leaning towards really crappy drivers. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

TedShackley May 12, 2012 01:04 AM

the NIC on my last asus MB fried, I RMAed it to Ontario so it didn't take too too long, used my P4 for about 4 weeks I think.......uuuuughggghhh