Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2012, 08:30 PM
MVP
F@H

I wouldn't worry much about it as long as the package was sealed and intact. I worked with semiconductors for more than a decade, you should be more worried about things that you don't see. Superficial damage to the packaging material is just that, as long as it does not impede or severely hinder the heat transfer from the die/heat spreader to the heatsink it's fine. It's your option to return or get it replaced of course, after all, no one wants their shiny new toy looking like it came from the dumpster.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old May 12, 2012, 12:46 PM
Rookie

Harley Hutton from DC emailed me and asked to send him pictures. I gave the youtube video link to him. Let see how it goes...
Old May 13, 2012, 07:45 PM

Guys, can't make this more clear than I already have...

IHSes having marks on them is normal and is part of the QC process.

Get over it.

Your new car is manufactured then tested and the odometer is set to zero for sale. Would you prefer one that hasn't been used at all (and therefore might not work)? Too bad. They won't give you one of those because QC is important.

If there is something ACTUALLY wrong with the OP's CPU, then it will be replaced, but I suspect it's something to do with the rubbish power supply or odd RAM configuration as opposed to the CPU. CPU defective rates are like 1/10,000 and usually they just outright don't work rather than causing a BSOD.

/thread. Sheesh.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old May 13, 2012, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
If there is something ACTUALLY wrong with the OP's CPU, then it will be replaced, but I suspect it's something to do with the rubbish power supply or odd RAM configuration as opposed to the CPU. CPU defective rates are like 1/10,000 and usually they just outright don't work rather than causing a BSOD.

/thread. Sheesh.
Not true.

I had worked at a company that ordered 3 i7 2600k from NCIX and every one of them would install and allow you to boot into Windows. But the second you tried to do anything memory intensive it would lock and cause BSODs.

3 different CPUs.. Same batch.. Same issue.

CPUs can work and can cause BSODs right out of the box. It depends on their issue at hand.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

With regards to the video that the OP posted, those marks are perfectly normal. I've seen them on pretty much every single AMD CPU I've ever owned...and believe me there have been plenty. The markings are all around the sides of the IHS and not even the top so I'm not sure why it matters.

Aside from that...pretty much what Linus said. I would imagine the system itself is the problem. Looks like the OP is trying to stick a newer CPU in an old HP prebuilt that may not necessarily have the support for it.

I'm not saying that the CPU isn't the problem but I find it unlikely.
Old May 15, 2012, 06:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

They can say they dont sell returns all they want. If it doesnt "look" returned then they will sell it as new. The only exception is sealed items.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Not true.

I had worked at a company that ordered 3 i7 2600k from NCIX and every one of them would install and allow you to boot into Windows. But the second you tried to do anything memory intensive it would lock and cause BSODs.

3 different CPUs.. Same batch.. Same issue.

CPUs can work and can cause BSODs right out of the box. It depends on their issue at hand.
This may be more often the case with memory controllers on the CPUs, so I stand corrected on the possibility of a bunk CPU causing random issues rather than just outright not working.

I do know the defective rates for a fact though, and they are very low. The chances of a CPU being the problem in an unstable build are very low compared to other components like RAM, motherboard, and PSU.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old May 15, 2012, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Every time I don't buy a CPU from a store and check it in store... I usually kick myself. Only protection against a bad CPU out of the box (physical damage) is to inspect it before you buy it.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:59 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Every time I don't buy a CPU from a store and check it in store... I usually kick myself. Only protection against a bad CPU out of the box (physical damage) is to inspect it before you buy it.
Agreed. The last few CPU+Mobo purchases I've made (locally at Memory Express), I've got them to mount the CPU and boot the board. With that, I have no surprises when I get home to assemble - especially with the fragile LGA socket designs on the Intel boards. It's a nice option for me being close to the local stores. But, unfortunately for those that must order on-line, I suppose there's not much that can be done.

Last edited by francisw19; May 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 12:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

* knock on wood...the ONLY problem i EVER had with a cpu was with my moms computer when i went to exchange the cpu between two computers...hers which hadnt had the heatsink taken off in approx 5yrs...besnt the pins when the hsf un mounted and pulled out...i tried the mechanical pencils, but broke the pins...luckily, this was about 2 yrs ago, and athlon 64's were dirt cheap.....so.,..besides that, everything is peachy...