Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2012, 05:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhatPaulie View Post
Plus for a phenom (x6?) that psu is a bit light.... like the last guy said it could very well be the board/ psu are inadequate
I'm planning to get a 600watt CX-600 from cosair. And no for phenom x6. It only supports 4core up to 95watts for athlon II and phenom II. The athlon II x4 620 (R:C2) works fine but that CPU literally overheats. Thats why I stop using it.

Last edited by eatmeh; May 11, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The M2N78-LA doesn't support Phenom II's.
Old May 11, 2012, 06:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
The M2N78-LA doesn't support Phenom II's.
Yes it does thru BIOS update. I also found out that that CPU had a defective core. I disable one thru window 7 and now it works great. But still RMA it because one of it's core is defective. Sadly, I can underclock or undervoltage because of the HP motherboard.
Old May 11, 2012, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

How is that normal guys, I wouldn't care if the topside was butter smooth, I don't want any scratches or marks on a CPU that I get from any sort of manufacturing or mounting, I'd return it for replacement ASAP.

Why should I get a scratched up CPU when others get one that looks more 'normal' ?
Old May 11, 2012, 06:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
How is that normal guys, I wouldn't care if the topside was butter smooth, I don't want any scratches or marks on a CPU that I get from any sort of manufacturing or mounting, I'd return it for replacement ASAP.

Why should I get a scratched up CPU when others get one that looks more 'normal' ?
You read my mind sir.
Old May 11, 2012, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

why would it really matter? As long as they arent deep scratches that could affect cooling, its not like you're looking at your heatspreader a lot.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
why would it really matter? As long as they arent deep scratches that could affect cooling, its not like you're looking at your heatspreader a lot.
OK lets put it this way, you go buy a new car, and I will put some scratches on the side, not happy? I wonder why? oh that's right you wanted what you paid for, well we all want what we pay for.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My point is you won't be seeing the cpu at all, comparing a car to something that isn't visible under usage isn't the same.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
OK lets put it this way, you go buy a new car, and I will put some scratches on the side, not happy? I wonder why? oh that's right you wanted what you paid for, well we all want what we pay for.
It's not fair, but it's simply the way it is. Random retail samples get pulled for testing all the time, whether or not it's left in "like new" condition depends on the tester's mood. A good CS rep would give you the RMA though. (at least in my experience)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmeh View Post
Yes it does thru BIOS update. I also found out that that CPU had a defective core. I disable one thru window 7 and now it works great. But still RMA it because one of it's core is defective. Sadly, I can underclock or undervoltage because of the HP motherboard.
Just because HP says it does, doesn't mean it will do so safely.

Many users experience issues with boards that claim to support 4-6 core processors. The problem is most of these boards have completely inadequate power delivery. In your case it's pretty obvious the problem is the motherboard since it runs stably with a core disabled. There's a good chance you've already damaged the mosfets on your board.

For reference:
About VRMs & MOSFETs / Motherboard Safety with high-TDP processors - Overclock.net Community
Old May 11, 2012, 07:59 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
Those marks on the IHS upper surface have no influence on the functionnality of the CPU. They are purely marks left by the manufacturing plant tooling when the chip was tested.
Get over it.