Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2012, 07:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

They dont have firewire because a lot of enthusiasts and the entailing devices dont use firewire..... Honestly the only device that might use it well enough is a external drive and e-sata is a lot faster for that I think
Old May 11, 2012, 12:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
i'm finding it strange that so many high end boards don't have firewire.

there's an awful lot of expensive recording gear that relies on it. and it can't be THAT expensive to add it to a motherboard.
Yeah... bit of a shame to me. ASUS & Gigabyte, have both started to remove firewire ports from the motherboard products the past 2 years. (some motherboards still had them on P67, Z68 chipsets, but not all)

I still see them very prevalent on the Asrock products though! and they're quite a good value considering the features you get for the price.

In short, you want firewire on your new build? you'll have to add a card inside your pci slot or get a motherboard that still supports it.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:01 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhatPaulie View Post
They dont have firewire because a lot of enthusiasts and the entailing devices dont use firewire..... Honestly the only device that might use it well enough is a external drive and e-sata is a lot faster for that I think
Firewire is absolute king in the recording world though. I don't think the manufacturers have given this much thought to how big the recording market is.
With USB you have a maximum of 2 simultaneous tracks. With firewire, the only real limitation is the cpu power.

I realize that will change with USB 3.0, but for now firewire remains king of the hill.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:07 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post
Yeah... bit of a shame to me. ASUS & Gigabyte, have both started to remove firewire ports from the motherboard products the past 2 years. (some motherboards still had them on P67, Z68 chipsets, but not all)

I still see them very prevalent on the Asrock products though! and they're quite a good value considering the features you get for the price.

In short, you want firewire on your new build? you'll have to add a card inside your pci slot or get a motherboard that still supports it.
Well there's still a fair enough selection in the ATX boards. But it's getting tough for the smaller boards.
I've got another thread looking for a mini itx board with a minimum of 3 sata 6Gb/s connectors. isn't happening on Intel yet. And when it finally does, there probably isn't going to be a firewire connector to be found.

Old May 14, 2012, 08:51 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Im thinking it came down to an analysis of how many people use firewire and the the space it takes up on a board. I dont think it is as much about expense as it is opportunity cost of space lost on the board and I/O panel. The controller chip is quite large and takes up a lot of board real estate so with a mATX board many manufacturers wont include it so there is space for more important stuff. The GENE has the SupremeFX III in the spot that firewire chip is usually found for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
i'm finding it strange that so many high end boards don't have firewire.

there's an awful lot of expensive recording gear that relies on it. and it can't be THAT expensive to add it to a motherboard.
Old June 2, 2012, 03:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I really dont like the fact that they are using the ICHR for the 2 x intel 6gb ports, 2 x intel 3gb ports, and the other two are for the esata and that minisata device. I would have much prefered that use the asmedia controller for the esata and minisata devices. I have a 2x ssd array and 3x hd array I was moving over. I really like the board a lot, but this alone makes it incompatible with what I have. My fault for getting it before I researched it. I just assumed since on my gene-z they were all intel ports.
Old June 2, 2012, 05:07 PM
Top Prospect

Thought i'd take another look at the board for the heck of it, and I was surprised to see that the e-sata is only sataII.
But right now that's still common on boards for whatever reason. Although, I got a couple of builds going this past week with the Asus Sabertooth boards for my sons, and those boards do have a pair of the e-sata III connectors. Those boards of course are atx though.