Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2012, 04:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default IS them CPU Water Coolers safe

I keep looking at reviews of people buying them specially the corsair units and they talk about them leaking and some people had thier boards shorted out.That is what aways worried me about a water cooler system.Plus people with the H80 are talking about overclocking a 2600K and they idle around 29c and talking about with prime95 only doing 4.4gigs and just hitting 70c.Heck with my i7-3820 with a 212 EVO at 4.4gis miine idles at 24c to 28c and I just hit 53c to 55c ,i used the hardest torture setting ,but I only ran it around a hour.Even at 4.625gigs at 1.288v it idles at 28c to 30c and running Prime95 at the same setting and running around a hour it just hits 57c,58c,60c and the highest one is 62c.I see no reason to run one 24 hours.If it runs a hour and nothing has failed then I don't think a game that is not going to be running it as hard is going to fail.I just don't know if I spend a $100 on a CPU water cooler and I don't see any better results that would suck.Plus I would sure hate for it to start leaking and fry my new set-up.It just look to me that a water cooler should keep the load tempertures lower then a air cooler.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old May 5, 2012, 05:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Your comparing 2 different chips... the 3820 runs cooler than the 2600k..

The closed loop water coolers have a bit of an advantage over air (maybe 15%) so your looking at ~10c cooler at your current levels.. (rough guestimate)

is it worth the money... IMO yes if your looking to really push how far you can clock.. no if your happy with the oc you have..
Old May 5, 2012, 06:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If you already have a good air cooler, I would suggest the h100 if you have room for the 240mm radiator. I used an h50 for over 2 years, and is still chugging along in my old system, putting a closed loop cooler on my GTX480's core within the next month, so as you can tell I am not worried about them leaking.
Old May 5, 2012, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Check the thread by Killswitch. He has the H100 for sale. $85 shipped! Well worth checking it out.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old May 6, 2012, 11:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure with Corsair, the product warranty covers if it were to leak under normal circumstances, in which case they would replace your system.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

obviously they are safe but I must say I was underwhelmed when I went from an h60 to an h100. In fact my h60 outperformed the h100.... and it was not a matter of reseat.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:11 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

IMHO, I would say that with a water cooler you are paying for the silence of the cooler vs the kiss that would be generated by a air cooler (saying that there are plenty of quiet air coolers as well.). I have seen reviews where they were about evenly matched, a few with advantage going to the water and others with it going to the air.

For me, as long as they equivalent and the water is quieter I am happy. For the record have had three water coolers, no leaks.
Old May 7, 2012, 08:22 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You would need to really kink it to make it leak or yank on the connectors. I have the h100 it has two tubes "I think" one with the fluid and an armor coated one on the outside. They are rigid and it seems solid well built
Old May 7, 2012, 10:17 AM
Top Prospect

Generally, I think the closed loop coolers are quite safe to use. I've had the H50, H70, and H100 and no problems at all with them.

I suspect what leads to them leaking is the pump failing (either just by wearing out or loss of power) which causes the coolant to warm up and expand beyond what the loop was designed for (leading to a build up of internal pressure on the loop) and causes the loop to burst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemminr View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure with Corsair, the product warranty covers if it were to leak under normal circumstances, in which case they would replace your system.
Yup...I've heard the same thing. In fact, I've followed a few users who posted their experience with the Corsair RMA and in all cases they were compensated for the damaged parts.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The only closed loop I have seen fail in the last 5 years was a Coolit ALC and that was due to massive heat in the system YET Coolit covered all components it damaged I was super impressed, they even got me a upgraded board do to stock limitations :D
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”