Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2008, 11:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Excuse for an upgrade

Normally I don't burn discs very often so I didn't notice that I'd got a defective MSI motherboard right away (6 months later heh). This model of motherboard has a bug where it shuts down the computer while I'm burning a disc; according to some articles I've read it has something to do with one of the capacitors.
One article: MSI K9N mobos suffer random shutdowns - The INQUIRER

Anyways, thats the bad news; the good news is its a perfect excuse to upgrade. I was thinking of going with a 780i chipset, but I thought I'd get some input first. Not ready for DDR3 yet, so 790 isn't on the table yet. Since I'm upgrading the motherboard I think its also a good time to go Quad core as well, so don't let my Athlon hold back any reccomendations. I'm not really held back by much of a budget, but $600 approximately I'd consider around my maximum I'm willing to spend for now on Mobo and CPU.

What I am currently looking at as a likely configuration is the Evga Nforce 780I Sli LGA775 Atx 3PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Raid Sound Gblan 1394 Motherboard, and Intel Xeon X3320 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.50GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB 6MB (MAYBE the X3350 if enough people convince me).

Oh and my overclocking skill is minimal but I am trying to learn thanks to largely in part of the great HardwareCanucks community that I can troll the forums with. Thanks in advance.

Mark
Old April 2, 2008, 11:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Do you need the SLI? If not I'd recommend a DS3L. It is a great little board for cheap. If you're going after every last little MHz then a Asus or DFI may be in order but the gigabyte does very well. If you're trying to get your wings OCing like you say then that would be another plug for the gigabyte, lots of OC potential but just the right amount of options not to overwhelm.

I haven't read much on the 45nm quads and how they clock so it's not a sure thing as this point though I don't feel it's a bad move either. The Q9450, or Xeon equivalent, seems to be the sweet spot for price. One thing to remember when you're OCing these ships you're pretty much just buying a multiplier.

I'm sure you'll get some better opinions from those who are more "in the know" then I am, so I hope I didn't muddy the waters too much.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old April 2, 2008, 11:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The 680i boards are great...if they work properly. Mine did so for almost a year and a half. The 780i is not much different from the older 680i so you might want to look around a little more if you really want to go that way. A few ppl had some mayor issues with these boards and ofcourse that you can read up on, all over the internet. I actually replaced my 680i with the Gigabyte DS3L, which is an absolute budget board but it runs like a train. In a way, comparing these two is really hard, but I was able to push my E6850 further than ever on the DS3L, more so than I ever could on my 680i. I would certainly reccommend the Gigabyte boards but I personally would go for a board with more tweaking/expansion options. As for the CPU....I would go for either the Q9450 or the X3350. I would pick those because of their higher multiplier, which makes OC'ing easier. Hope this helps a bit....

Ps. Ask, ask, ask, try, try, try....It will make you a great OC'er!
Pps. I basically just copied Biff's post...but I went a bit more in detail....see how great minds think alike? LOL
Ppps. I just noticed you have an 9800GX2 coming? WOW! Good for you! You have to join the Hardware Canucks Team on HWbot for sure!
Old April 3, 2008, 01:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Biff:
Thanks for the advice, you are right I'm pretty sure I won't need the SLI. When the EVGA 9800GX2 (1st edition, not oc'd) arrives (hoping next week) I'll have maxed my budget on video cards for the rest of the year lol. The $200 price I would save on buying the DS3L would definately make it easier for my decision on buying a 45nm processor. I've read quite a few people saying the 45nm processors overclock a lot easier.

Prof. Dr. Silver:
Thanks for you help as well. I actually have really enjoyed my MSI K9N Platinum 680i board. My decision to upgrade probably has less to do with the bug in the board and more to do with me wanting to upgrade to a quad core and not completely trusting the new Phenom processors. I did read a little on how the 780's were almost identical to the 680's, but I was curious about the ESA (enthusiast system architecture) if I get into OC'ing; not sure how it works and haven't read anybody saying much about it. The more I look at the DS3L the more it seems the right choice for the $$. Do I need a special invitation to join the elite Hardware Canucks Team on HWbot, or do I just register a user id and join the team?

Mark
Old April 3, 2008, 01:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimark View Post
"The $200 price I would save on buying the DS3L would definately make it easier for my decision on buying a 45nm processor. I've read quite a few people saying the 45nm processors overclock a lot easier."

"I actually have really enjoyed my MSI K9N Platinum 680i board. The more I look at the DS3L the more it seems the right choice for the $$. Do I need a special invitation to join the elite Hardware Canucks Team on HWbot, or do I just register a user id and join the team? "
Mark
As long as you're happy with the 680i....Stick with it & go for the 780i! You have to remember that OC'ing is a little more difficult (or at least that's what I found) on the DS3L...due to the lack of fine-tuning options...that we had on our 680i's!

As for HWBot.org....sign yourself up...and join our team! We just make it easy for you to join our 'Elite' team! LOL
Old April 3, 2008, 06:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Did a lot of looking around today and decided to ask for advice one more time before I make that final choice. This is what is currently sitting in my shopping cart at NCIX Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.66GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB 12MB OEM No HSF, Noctua NT-H1 PRO-GRADE Hybrid Thermal Compound Tim Solution 3 Gram, and Gigabyte EP35-DS3R ATX LGA775 P35 1600OC FSB DDR2 1200OC 1PCI-E16 SATA RAID Sound GLAN Motherboard. I am running raid 0 which may not make sense with the two HD's I have, but its what I've been doing lol. Only issue now is that the processor is oem therefore has no heat sink/fan, and I've never bought those seperately before.
This Scythe Ninja Plus REV.B Heatpipe Fanless Heatsink AM2 LGA775 S478 S754 S939 W/ 120MM Fan seems popular, but that isn't always the best way to go. Any last words before I take the plunge?

Mark
Old April 3, 2008, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Instead of the Noctua TIM go for the Arctic Cooling MX-2. Takes it down by just a few degrees more! As for the cooler....spend a few more dollars on the Thermalright Ultra 120 Xtreme! It will be worth it!
Old April 3, 2008, 06:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just so I have this right.. I don't need a fan using this heatsink? lol
Old April 3, 2008, 06:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You would need to order a fan with that cooler as well.

Another word of caution.... do you know somebody with one of the earlier model intel C2D chips who'd be willing to pop it into your new motherboard for a bios flash? If not, verify with either other owners of the board, or with your retailer that it will ship with a bios which will support the new quad cores. (I'm sitting on an ASUS Maximus Formula that I'm going to have to flash before it will recognise the Xeon chip I tried to put in it last night.... :) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 3, 2008, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimark View Post
Just so I have this right.. I don't need a fan using this heatsink? lol
You COULD run it without a heatsink...but I wouldn't reccommend it! Get a pair of Scythe Flex or Noctua NF-P12 fans....silent but deadly! LOL