Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2012, 07:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Heat issue on 990fx

I have a sabre tooth 990FX and a my processor is a 8120. The current setting is 3.89 (liquid cool with the H100) yeap I can push it farther but All I have done so far is set the Multiplier to 15.5

I have 2 thermal sensors on the power capacitor area. I think under thermal radar they call them VP-1 and VP-2. All my temps are in the 40 30 C except VP-1it seems to always be higher and creeps upward. (this is the CPU power thermal sensor I think ~ not to be confused with the actual cpu temp that s ususally 30-40 C) Last night I got a warning that it was over 60 C

Any ideas? Is this bad ? I was playing BF3 for about 1 hours.

The warning Pop up was not noticable in full screen games so I was just chugging along and not knowing it was getting hotter till i shut down.

Last edited by Painbringer71; May 3, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old May 3, 2012, 09:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The temp you are seeing rise after an overclock is your VRM. 40-45C is OK for the VRM's, but I wouldn't feel comfortable letting it sit at 60C for very long, need to have more air around your CPU socket, replacing the thermal paste can't hurt any.
Old May 3, 2012, 09:44 AM
Banned

You try just multi by itself? I ask cause it sounds like your doing fsb oc'in it ?
Old May 3, 2012, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painbringer71 View Post
I have a sabre tooth 990FX and a my processor is a 8120. The current setting is 3.89 (liquid cool with the H100) yeap I can push it farther but All I have done so far is set the Multiplier to 15.5

I have 2 thermal sensors on the power capacitor area. I think under thermal radar they call them VP-1 and VP-2. All my temps are in the 40 30 C except VP-1it seems to always be higher and creeps upward. (this is the CPU power thermal sensor I think ~ not to be confused with the actual cpu temp that s ususally 30-40 C) Last night I got a warning that it was over 60 C

Any ideas? Is this bad ? I was playing BF3 for about 1 hours.

The warning Pop up was not noticable in full screen games so I was just chugging along and not knowing it was getting hotter till i shut down.
That is strange becasue I was getting the exact same thing with my board I had it overclocked to 3.8 and the temps according to open hardware monitor would average around 30 but on one of the temps it was averageing around forty and when ever I would do anything stressfull like gaming or anything that lasted more then a few minutes I would get the same popup warning, I then put a 120 fan over my ram area and it stopped.
this would happen even with a 3.6 overclock. it must be some fault of the motherboard.
so try the fan thing like I did see if that works
Old May 3, 2012, 05:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have taken the door off my case and propped a small desk fan i have on a shoebox about 6 inches frome the power heatsink temps dropped from 45C (running cold to 40 (vcore 1 and 35 vcore 2) I have the option to add 4 120 to the optional panel that came with my case but i will test this first. I also flashed my cmos just incase i fiddled with something. i have only overclocked in Turbo V(btw my cross fire cards have dropped in temp as well almost 10 C idle they are at 38C)
Old May 14, 2012, 01:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I removed the H100 cleaned it off. Put new goop spread nice and thin reinstalled H100. I added a 200MM extra case fan the blows directly on the motherboard. It keeps the temp on v-core 1 at 47-49 C. I have a green light from ASUS to return but will it be a waste to do so ? Advice return or keep. It only gets high under load.
Old May 14, 2012, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Keep that motherboard for sure. VRMs are designed to run that high, and what you're posting as temps is actually quite low. If can read the little numbers and look up the parts installed around those areas (although may be difficult with a Sabretooth) you'll see the parts are rated 125C or 150C. Of course if you see THOSE kinds of temps drop back your OC, because something else near those parts will break. Since you are overclocking this generation's most power hungry processor, I would recommend that you keep airflow over that area as you are doing with the 20cm fan. From HWC's reviews that CPU may be pulling over 150W, so treat it the same way GPU manufacturers treat the region near their power connectors.

I've been running a Gigabyte MA770-UD3's VRM regions at 112C (yes above the boiling point of water) measured by an infrared thermometer, and although I don't recommend it, it's doable.