Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2012, 05:47 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I'm not sure why you would build a mini-ITX system to put dual Velicoraptors and a SSD into it though. That is a very unique combination to say the least.

At the very least, build micro-ATX. Still though, you'll be limited to AMD if you want that number of SATAIII ports onboard. Intel only has 2 with the others being on a 3rd party controller in most cases.
heh, I have a habit of coming up with strange projects.

one of my early ones was a dual opteron tyan server board with some scsi drives and raptors. then I did a tiny micro atx case that originally came with one of those micro psu's.
I modded in a full size psu, put a top of the line intel m-atx board with a just out e6600, and put a custom 3-drive cage into the space that originally held just one drive and for added measure, threw in a still hot 7900 overclocked gt card.

this one is going to be a custom woodworking enclosure i'm going to build out of a stack of brazilian rosewood I got back in the late 80's.

Old May 3, 2012, 05:51 AM
Top Prospect

This was the Tyan dual Opteron build. Yeah that's an SLI setup there.

Man that build was smoking fast for it's time.