Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1, 2012, 07:01 PM
Top Prospect

Default Hacking/hacked bios v. overclocking

Some years back I had ran across a site that showed various bios hacks for motherboards, which would open up motherboards to overclocking even when they weren't built for it.

Anyone know if that sort of thing is still going on?

I'm looking to get a mini itx board, possibly an Intel. And apparently only a few of the socket 1155 board chipsets will overclock at all.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

apparently the new asus z77 mobo is a fully capable overclocker. I have no clue about bios hax though sorry.
Old May 1, 2012, 08:29 PM
MVP

This was many years ago, and it was mostly done on boards that were in most ways very similar to more expensive boards but had certain features 'turned off' in the BIOS to make the more expensive board more attractive. There were people who then 'reprogrammed' the BIOS to enable these hidden features. If the board wasn't capable of the features it was not possible to add it using these BIOS hacks. I haven't seen it done for quite awhile now, and most of the BIOS hacks that I have seen being done have to do with the SLIC tables and such and not with overclocking features in general. Only my opinion, but I think in general, even low end boards are given every feature they are capable now to promote them to their fullest. I haven't seen many boards that have suddenly been able to flash into overclocking monsters these days.
Old May 2, 2012, 04:40 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks Rasparthe. I guess i'll just have to focus on the specific overclocking boards then.