Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2008, 02:03 PM
Allstar

Default Does using an aftermarket heatsink/paste void your intel retail warranty?

Does anyone know? If you RMA a processor and don't send back the chip and stock heatsink smeared with the cheap intel gunk, would they refuse your warranty?
Old April 2, 2008, 02:38 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Not that Ive ever heard of. If that was the case you would never be able to remove the stock HSF.
Old April 2, 2008, 02:49 PM
Allstar

What I've heard is that poorly applied capacitive or conductive paste that fried your proc will void your warranty. I'm just wondering how they would know. Would they insist that RMA'd procs have the paste left on there for testing? If that is the case, where would one get more intel stock paste without buying a new stock heatsink (some places sell these for like $15)? I've also read (from an old googled article on slashdot) that they insist that you send the heatsink with the proc and they check the heatsink serial with the CPU to make sure they match.

Would anyone that ever sent in a processor for RMA be able to shed some light on the subject?
Old April 2, 2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
I've also read (from an old googled article on slashdot) that they insist that you send the heatsink with the proc and they check the heatsink serial with the CPU to make sure they match.
This is true if the HSF actually has a serial on it, but alot dont so they would never know if it was a different one as long as it is the same type.

And no, there is no way to tell if a CPU was fried because of the wrong thermal paste, excessive voltage, or similar. Not that I am recommending you do anything out of warranty spec. ;)
Old April 2, 2008, 03:07 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
This is true if the HSF actually has a serial on it, but alot dont so they would never know if it was a different one as long as it is the same type.
I'll have to check mine tonight to see if it does...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
And no, there is no way to tell if a CPU was fried because of the wrong thermal paste, excessive voltage, or similar.
Except for burn marks I suppose

You'd think that they'd have some sort of internal sensor that would be tripped for these though, given the number of RMA's they would see from overzealous overclockers.

It seems odd to me that they wouldn't have a built in monitoring system to tell if a processor was configured to run at a multi/fsb that is different from stock, or exceeded thermal specs.

I just bought a hard drive yesterday and it says on there that the warranty is void if the HD received a shock in excess of 300Gs. I'm sure they would have included some sort of G-meter in the unit. These things are cheap and you can pretty much buy them on a sticker.
Old April 2, 2008, 03:20 PM

The amount of CPUs killed by ocers is not big enough for Intel/AMD to care about. We are maybe 1% of the market, then maybe 1-2% of that 1% kill CPUs from abuse.