Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2012, 04:15 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default AMD vs Intel Processors w/compatible MOBOS

I need to clearly understand a few features and concepts:

1. Are there any particular motherboards that support both AMD and Intel processors?

If so which models?

2. I know that the Sandy and Ivy Bridge processors support Intel Smart Technology by which the Intel processor allows SSD to act as cache to accelerate the speed of HDD/s in same computers.
2.1 Is there any AMD processor offering a comparable feature? If so, what is the name of that feature and which is/are the AMD model/s that offers such a feature?

I am looking into a future build based on Intel's Ivy Bridge (tick + acording to Intel) or the version after that (which apparently will be a "toc(k)" progress.) So I am trying to understand my options.

Over the option between Intel and AMD processors it has been said that specially in the latest launches of processors, Intel is amply superior to AMD. As I am not finding the facts as to those reasons I am asking for directions to look for them.
I want to compare the efficiency and performance of those 2 brands of processors given my particular uses which can be detailed as: personal use contains NO GAMING whatsoever BUT intensive in Web Surfing (with over 50 web pages opened simultaneously), online chat, emailing, TV and Video streaming and watching over the PC via a HDTV two-tuner card, and business software programs.

3. Any good suggestion about who/where clearly explains such a comparison between processors of the same generation with similar features from Intel and AMD for the uses described in the paragraph above?

Thank you for any knowledgeable contributions
Old April 28, 2012, 07:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSwhip View Post

1. Are there any particular motherboards that support both AMD and Intel processors?

No, but a few years back pc chips or was it ecs DID make a board that you could run either or on it with the opposite being ran in a agp based pcb card with the socket on it for mounting.

2. I know that the Sandy and Ivy Bridge processors support Intel Smart Technology by which the Intel processor allows SSD to act as cache to accelerate the speed of HDD/s in same computers.
2.1 Is there any AMD processor offering a comparable feature? If so, what is the name of that feature and which is/are the AMD model/s that offers such a feature?

No amd currently doesnt have anything like this & its moot point now as SSD prices are becoming loser to the point there is need to use this intel ssd boost that they touted back then.

I am looking into a future build based on Intel's Ivy Bridge (tick + acording to Intel) or the version after that (which apparently will be a "toc(k)" progress.) So I am trying to understand my options.

In this instance buying a ivy bridge is pointless as the socket itself 1155 is gonna be phased out in the next year & abit by intel when they introduce there new "haswell" based cpu's. Intel might have better cpu's to a certain degree, BUT they luv to prod there sheep into having to buy a cpu + motherboard to upgrade to there "latest n greatest".

Over the option between Intel and AMD processors it has been said that specially in the latest launches of processors, Intel is amply superior to AMD. As I am not finding the facts as to those reasons I am asking for directions to look for them.
I want to compare the efficiency and performance of those 2 brands of processors given my particular uses which can be detailed as: personal use contains NO GAMING whatsoever BUT intensive in Web Surfing (with over 50 web pages opened simultaneously), online chat, emailing, TV and Video streaming and watching over the PC via a HDTV two-tuner card, and business software programs.

Depends on your software your using. IF you can hold out on doin so my advice/opinion is your going to get a more robust well balanced platform with some futureproofing if you can hold out for the soon to launch AMD "Trinity" based liano cpu/apu's. You'll be able to throw in a 120 gig ssd drive, 8-16 gigs of DDR3 1866 ram & call it a day. IF your a adobe user whom plans to use the new version of it they just anounced that its now optimized for opencl which is run on amd's apu's on there liano chips.

3. Any good suggestion about who/where clearly explains such a comparison between processors of the same generation with similar features from Intel and AMD for the uses described in the paragraph above?

Various pc/techie sites like this 1 & a few others will offer abit more info on intel/amd's current/near future technoligies. :)

Hope that helps you some.
Old April 28, 2012, 08:10 AM
MVP

There are motherboards that support both processors, but they were last compatible on the same motherboards in 1998 with a Socket 7 motherboard. Since then, no, there are no models that support both processors.

The SSD caching, Smart Response Technology is a feature of the chipset, the motherboard control chip, not the actual processor. AMD doesn't provide a chipset that has the same features but there are software solutions to add this to your system. Although for your list of needs, likely a good SSD is all you would need.

The current Intel processors are very much superior to the AMD ones, in almost every aspect except cost. For your list of needs they would be considered light use. If you are using many programs at the same time you should go for more threads than less (for instance, Intel 4 core with hyperthreading, or a AMD 8 core Bulldozer) and an abundance of RAM, probably 16GB although you likely will never need more than 8 for your listed tasks. That being said, the Intel processors may be very much overkill for what you are looking for, only those that are doing encoding of music/video or may 3d modelling or something would actually use one of there processors to its fullest. A high end AMD may be more than enough for what you need.

You can go here: CPU benchmarks to look at almost every CPU ever produced and how they rank compared to each other. The rankings are pretty general but do fair job of ranking them based on a score of the Passmark benchmark. Your real challenge is going to be deciding at what level all your tasks must exceed in the benchmark. Then taking a chip from the list of acceptable processors (those above the level you decided in the benchmark) and then building your system around it.
Old April 28, 2012, 08:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSwhip View Post

No
If so which models?

No

Things always get better with time. Buy what is current when you build.

At this point in time intel is more efficient and has higher performance than amd.

There's the short answers.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old April 28, 2012, 02:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Buy Intel, go with Sandy bridge processor with a z68 chipset, a 2500K is about the same price is as FX8150 but so much more better! If you need this for more than just gaming then get a 2600K! Dont go with AMD , they save you money but you not really. It's just a myth. Performance vs performance vs cost, intel is still better!