Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2012, 11:38 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 189

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The AMD offerings are getting spanked by Intel....but joe 6 pack doesnt care. He sees PC A w/ an Intel processor for say 750 and he sees PC B w/ AMD for say 650....the "B" PC wins...as while 1 bill over a couple years is nothing it IS an extra 1 bill up front. IE Consumers dont get it that the ROI is higher with the Intel because the AMD is CHEAPER up front. (Converstly both systems could also cost the same BUT the AMD rig comes with "more" stuff to make it more appealing).

TBH, I am glad that this is the case as AMD cpu's right now are less than optimal....and if peeps COULD see the big picture when buying a computer...AMD would be sunk.
But that still only counts if you'd actually use the power of the Intel processor. I bought my Phenom II nearly 3 years back, and I could've gotten an i7 at the time. (i5s/i3s weren't out). However, I knew I wouldn't use the power of the i7 very much; my 955 could run my old 4870, new 6870, and whatever else I do just fine. My chip was $220, around 100 less than what the 920 would've cost me. The x58 platform was overall more expensive though, ie. I would've had to spend another 80/90 bucks for a comparable motherboard, and more on top of that for the triple channel ram. It would've cost me another $200 minimum - I used that extra money to buy a good mouse, keyboard, desk, chair, and games to actually play with my computer. The ROI from going AMD vs Intel was much better for me, and I figure its much better for the average person as well.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2012, 11:42 AM
great_big_abyss's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,208

My System Specs

Default

I guess the argument is that there IS a market for cheaper CPU's and it seems to be AMD's wish to fill that market.

It's like every other market. A cheap chevrolet sedan will cost less than a monster 4-door pickup truck. Sure, the pickup is infinitely more useful, can go more places, haul more, etc. But people buy the chevy sedan because they don't need the utility of a pickup and it's cheaper. Real bad analogy, I know, but it kinda works.
__________________



HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2012, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,380

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The AMD offerings are getting spanked by Intel....but joe 6 pack doesnt care. He sees PC A w/ an Intel processor for say 750 and he sees PC B w/ AMD for say 650....the "B" PC wins...as while 1 bill over a couple years is nothing it IS an extra 1 bill up front. IE Consumers dont get it that the ROI is higher with the Intel because the AMD is CHEAPER up front. (Converstly both systems could also cost the same BUT the AMD rig comes with "more" stuff to make it more appealing).

TBH, I am glad that this is the case as AMD cpu's right now are less than optimal....and if peeps COULD see the big picture when buying a computer...AMD would be sunk.
I think you are failing to see the big picture, bottomline when people don't have enough money for the $750 computer and they have enough for the $650 they will buy it. I am waiting for AMD ultrathins to come out because for what I want to do they are better than intels offerings in the same price range.

Don't forget intel has cheaper processors too and AMD is beating some of them out. I know if I am picking up a laptop I would take an A8 processor over an i3 because the A8 will have better graphics for the price and I will be able to play games. The AMD will give me more longevity for my money because I don't have money for the $1000 i7 laptop and the a8 > i3 for games.

I could wait and save money for a better laptop but I need one now so I will buy AMD.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2012, 11:49 AM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
I guess the argument is that there IS a market for cheaper CPU's and it seems to be AMD's wish to fill that market.

It's like every other market. A cheap chevrolet sedan will cost less than a monster 4-door pickup truck. Sure, the pickup is infinitely more useful, can go more places, haul more, etc. But people buy the chevy sedan because they don't need the utility of a pickup and it's cheaper. Real bad analogy, I know, but it kinda works.

Better one would be A cheap chevrolet sedan will cost less than a monster 4-door pickup truck. Sure, the pickup is infinitely more useful, can go more places, haul more,AND use less gas AND have lower insurance premiums.

Anyways my point is that its a sign of the times. People are being ultra tight with their money and "good enough" is...well...good enough. AMD is lucky that they are able to capitalize on this as if the economy was burning up....a couple bucks saved on a CPU wouldnt matter to as many peeps. Always will be a portion of peeps who want CHEAP but this has more to do with AMD being lucky than being "good".
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2012, 03:13 PM
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 366

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Better one would be A cheap chevrolet sedan will cost less than a monster 4-door pickup truck. Sure, the pickup is infinitely more useful, can go more places, haul more,AND use less gas AND have lower insurance premiums.

Anyways my point is that its a sign of the times. People are being ultra tight with their money and "good enough" is...well...good enough. AMD is lucky that they are able to capitalize on this as if the economy was burning up....a couple bucks saved on a CPU wouldnt matter to as many peeps. Always will be a portion of peeps who want CHEAP but this has more to do with AMD being lucky than being "good".
I think you do not include the fact that a lot of people would rather have 1 new crappy computer every year rather than 1 good that will last 3-4 years.

Some of those people would also prefere to have a less powerfull laptop with a better finish than a better one with a less "hot" finish.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2012, 04:07 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 44N by 79W
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The AMD offerings are getting spanked by Intel....but joe 6 pack doesnt care. He sees PC A w/ an Intel processor for say 750 and he sees PC B w/ AMD for say 650....the "B" PC wins...as while 1 bill over a couple years is nothing it IS an extra 1 bill up front. IE Consumers dont get it that the ROI is higher with the Intel because the AMD is CHEAPER up front. (Converstly both systems could also cost the same BUT the AMD rig comes with "more" stuff to make it more appealing).

TBH, I am glad that this is the case as AMD cpu's right now are less than optimal....and if peeps COULD see the big picture when buying a computer...AMD would be sunk.
Why on earth would you want AMD to sink? I can't even imagine what the price of the Intel top end chips would jump to if AMD were to suddenly fold up. If you look at the big picture having another company like AMD slug it out with Intel is only good news for us. I hope that AMD flogs there dominance of the 'mainstream' market and uses the capital to eventually get their head together and start putting out some better chips. Then we might actually see some value for money from Intel. 'Til then I buy AMD for daily rigs and get the credit card ready for Ivy in my benching/gaming rig.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2012, 04:27 PM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,339
Default

Who says I want them to sink? Competition is good...but AMD is poor competition right now (in many areas) to Intel. This does peeve me off to no end and TBH, some days I think AMD wants AMD to sink. They need to go back to their roots and produce kick ass cpus at kick ass prices. This is why I can NOT cut them any slack or give an "attaboy" over "improved" market share.
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2012, 05:40 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: midland, ontario
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
I disagree with the above post, as my 3 year + i7 rig still spanks AMD's latest offerings around.
*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The AMD offerings are getting spanked by Intel....but joe 6 pack doesnt care. He sees PC A w/ an Intel processor for say 750 and he sees PC B w/ AMD for say 650....the "B" PC wins...as while 1 bill over a couple years is nothing it IS an extra 1 bill up front. IE Consumers dont get it that the ROI is higher with the Intel because the AMD is CHEAPER up front. (Converstly both systems could also cost the same BUT the AMD rig comes with "more" stuff to make it more appealing).

TBH, I am glad that this is the case as AMD cpu's right now are less than optimal....and if peeps COULD see the big picture when buying a computer...AMD would be sunk.
**

* - Oh yes thats why my previous 955 BE & now 1090T actualy outpreformed my buds i7 rig that cost him 2x as much ...

** - AkG, maybe that is why you have so much angst against AMD cause you feel they have "given up". And well like I have said in the past, intel has marketed themselfs to almost a subliminal level "It isnt a pc unless its intel inside" & the e-penile factor of "gotta have a intel cause they oc & are the best!!" ... the sheep WILL keep following the sheppard & continue to buy intel cause of it.

To me amd has done the right thing .... moved there pricing to a point where a consumer WOULD choose there cpu's over a intel even IF it might not "keep up" in some synthetic measurments n such. BUT again like I said MANY times before build 2 box's with no indications of what is in them other then simularly & optimized AMD n Intel parts & MOST peaple will tell ya they dont see a diffrence doing anything/varying tasks on them.

Furthermore, as much as peaple want to call it "Faildozer" its honestly more of a "windozer" cause all this new architechure has now is a window to improve/evolve & you cant say that about what intels had goin on with sandy/ivy bridge. Not to mention, NOW that AMD is fabless .... they can now in theory find fabs to manufacter cpu/gpu/apu's on lower nm's vs what they themselves couldnt do being locked into a partial agreement still with global founderies.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2012, 08:39 PM
elmorejohn46's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Greenville,TX
Posts: 294

My System Specs

Default

The person just looking at price and gigabits that is not up to par on CPU's the AMD looks like the better deal.But if you now you CPU'S then the Intel is the better deal.It is faster,bu in some games they are pretty close.But in scientific they are pretty close.In games intel is faster,but you can bay a AMD systen at a lower price.But with a intel system it will last you a lot longer.My EX58 and i7-920 will last me over 4 years.occorse I have it over clocked to 4.2gigs.





__________________
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old April 27, 2012, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,847

My System Specs

Default

It all comes down to what you need and money. If you can get something that will fill all your needs (maybe not all your wants) and costs less, then people buy it. That and the fact that llano seems to be selling great for budget light gaming (I bought a laptop with it and have no regrets).
__________________
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, MSI Cyclone GTX 460, Seasonic S12II 500W, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AMD’s First Quarter Results Beat Expectations Sam_Reynolds Press Releases & Tech News 14 April 21, 2012 12:10 PM
HP’s Earnings Plummet in Fourth Quarter Sam_Reynolds Press Releases & Tech News 0 November 21, 2011 03:52 PM
thought I'd share BrutalGreen Power Supplies 4 July 5, 2011 10:04 PM
Intel Reports First $11 Billion Revenue Quarter FiXT Press Releases & Tech News 10 October 14, 2010 02:47 PM
ATI’s R600 to Be Delayed Till Second Quarter Babrbarossa Press Releases & Tech News 0 February 21, 2007 06:05 AM