Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2012, 01:38 AM
Rookie

Default Integrated GPU in Ivy Bridge

Hey guys, I read that Ivy Bridge will have an HD 4000 integrated GPU. First, what does this mean and would I still have to buy a video card for light gaming?

Edit: Rather, would the integrated GPU on an Ivy Bridge CPU be sufficient to exploit the graphical potential of a system with 8 GB RAM or more such that it would be able to run the latest games on medium/high settings at above 20 FPS?

Last edited by chair1; April 12, 2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old April 12, 2012, 04:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Above 20fps, I think it's possible for normal gaming you can use built-in source but for extreme gaming, get a beast from nV or Radeon! It's up to you. :)
Old April 12, 2012, 05:30 AM
Allstar

system ram has VERY little to do with graphics performance.
Old April 12, 2012, 06:33 AM
Rookie

So, I would still be able to play games such as WoW/Diablo 3/League of Legends with amazing performance?
Old April 12, 2012, 08:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Alof of igp use system memory capacity/speed to bolster performance, so in the end it helps, however, if the igp in question(on cpu or motherboard) is not powerfull enough to begin with, then having loads of it simply does nothing.

Judging by what the current AMD Llano is, IvyB apprently really pushed the performance of thier igp up, so should it be able to play "light" gaming, it should. D3 more then likely. I guess it boils down to, Intel has always had excellent performing cpu, especially in single threaded performance which alot of games still need. So a game that is cpu heavy will do well on intel, however, I highly doubt the igp Intel or somewhat even AMD uses will be powerfull enough for the mentioned games and "amazing performance" play the games at reasonable settings, sure, play the games full out, do not ask for something it was not built for. They are igp built for casual gaming, streaming etc, they are not igp built for gaming focused usage.
Old April 12, 2012, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Current IGP solutions will play year old+ games very very well. Even the AMD HD4250 motherboard onboard and Intel's current HD3000 will shock most people as to how well they will run games. They won't max out resolutions or do AA/AF very well, but you can play most games far better than people give them credit for. I was even able to get the AMD HD4250 to play Dirt 3 @ 1366X768 resolution and it was on mostly medium settings and it was fluid and well playable.
Old April 12, 2012, 08:49 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I have a 2011 MBP 13" with intell hd 3000 integrated graphics and i can play league of legends @ 1920x1080 on medium settings no shadows with about 30ish fps starts to really bog down in teamfights tho like can go down to 15 ish.

i was VERY surprised with he performance i thought i wouldnt be able to game at all

i7 920 D0 @ 4ghz
Custum WC Loop
Asus P6X58D-E
6 Gb Corsair 1333
EVGA 760 GTX
NZXT Phantom
Old April 12, 2012, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You aren't going to be able to play the latest games on medium-high settings. Latest games you will probably get low settings but a game like league of legends you could run on medium pretty easily.
Old April 12, 2012, 10:11 AM
Rookie

Okay, I'll get a dedicated graphics card then for my future Ivy build. I want to experience very good performance-like average 40+ fps on mmorpgs under high load (to me, even 40 fps is a dream).

Alright, since the IGP will be disabled anyway, will there be a cheaper Ivy Bridge CPU without an IGP?
Old April 12, 2012, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chair1 View Post
Okay, I'll get a dedicated graphics card then for my future Ivy build. I want to experience very good performance-like average 40+ fps on mmorpgs under high load (to me, even 40 fps is a dream).

Alright, since the IGP will be disabled anyway, will there be a cheaper Ivy Bridge CPU without an IGP?
Usually it is just locked or unlocked cpu multiplier so probably no IGPless chip.