Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2012, 11:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default That hole on the i7-3820

I know it is were you can put a diode for temperture,but when putting Artic Silver paste on it will it hurt if it get down in it since it is made out of conductive paste.Or have they made sure that it will not contact nothing it should'nt .Or should I used artic silver Ceramique paste since it not supposed to hurt if it touches any contacts.
Old April 9, 2012, 04:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would say use a non-conductive paste just to be sure.

There's many newer pastes out there other than AS5 which perform better and don't conduct electricity.
Old April 10, 2012, 09:01 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I guess I will go with the artic silver Ceramique paste since it does not conduct eletricity.It supposed to be just as good as there silver paste .But I don't see why they put a hole in it if conductive paste could cause problems,but I rather be on the safe side.I have use both of them I just like the silver because it is thick and easier to work with.But my tempertures read around the same with either one of them.I have coolermaster paste that came with the heatsink but it is gray and looks like artic siilver.
Old April 10, 2012, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^^ i used ceramique a while back and found that it was rather poor at conducting heat. I had better temps with none of that paste on the heatsink/cpu. just my opinion...
Old April 10, 2012, 09:45 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I have used Artic Silver evre since it has came out and always had good luck with it ,but I got some Artic siver Ceramique paste and to my surprise I had around the same tempertures as I did with the Artic Silver paste.I would rather use the plain Artic Silver paste but I don't know about the hole that is on the i7-3820 ,I was wondering if I get it down in that hole would it cause problems.I hope if anyone is reading this and has used a 3820 could tell me if it will hurt anything.Is is just a hole that is surrounded by something so no paste could get into the chip under the heat cap on it.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I went to intel to chat to a teck and he relly did't know much .He said if I did not use the heatsink/fan that came with it I would be voiding the warranty.I told him that all the Sandy bridge-E do not come with a heatsink/fan.Then he said I need to use a stock intel heatsink and gave me part number ,I looked it up and it one of those that would not keep the processor cool even at stock speeds.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
^^ i used ceramique a while back and found that it was rather poor at conducting heat. I had better temps with none of that paste on the heatsink/cpu. just my opinion...
What? I have switched from using a new paste every time, to exclusively using AS ceramique 2 TIM. To easy to spread, works great(you must have used to little/much or something) beats every paste I had on hand to compare it to OCZ freeze, Chill factor 3, MX2,MX 4, AS 5, noctua TIM, when using my method of aplication, nothing was quite as good as the AS ceramique, plus after 3 years, it is still super soft and easy to remove heatsinks.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorejohn46 View Post
I went to intel to chat to a teck and he relly did't know much .He said if I did not use the heatsink/fan that came with it I would be voiding the warranty.I told him that all the Sandy bridge-E do not come with a heatsink/fan.Then he said I need to use a stock intel heatsink and gave me part number ,I looked it up and it one of those that would not keep the processor cool even at stock speeds.
Anyone who recommends you a stock cooler for you CPU, kindly thank them, and then never ever go near that place again, if your tech guy doesn't know that temps kill electronics, and spewing crap about warranties like some geek squad person(sounds like him/her is reading a form on there companies policies)then avoid that person like they are on fire. Really if you want it done right, without getting lied to and scammed, just ask HWC community, you will be able to see the best options, and noone will be crying to you because of warranty. How can Intel prove you didn't use there thermal paste, heatsink? they can't, you clean up the CPU and return it, same goes for water cooled graphics cards, you think none of us get warranty because we swapped a cooler? hell no, when it breaks swap the cooers and RMA it.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:29 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I had real good luck with Artic Silver ceramique when I used it on my i7-920 and a Thermalright U120 Extreme and I had the same tempertures as I did with the Artic silver paste and it was not hard to take off like the AS paste can be.
Old April 11, 2012, 04:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Yes I thought it was laughable when he said that I need to use a stock cooler.It was really funny because being a teck support ,you would think he new the new Sandy Bridge-E CPU's don't come with a heatsink/Fan.I will be useing the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-R2 Continuous Direct Contact.I have seen reviews of people doing 4,8g with this cooler ,but all I want is the maxium overclock I can get at stock voltage,I am hopeing for at least 4.2g or I want go no higher then 1.35v .Even my old i7-920 ran at 4.2gigs from day one at 1.4v and it never got to hot.Three years with it and I never had no problems with my air cooler .I would think since this is a 32nm chip it should run cooler .I don't see why it has the same 130w TDP as the i7-3960X since it has two more processors and 5mb of more cache.The i7-3960x has 2.27 Billion transistors compared to 1.27 Billion on the i7-3820.The i7-920 only had 731 million transistors.

Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular