Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   [Solved] FX-8150 - 6 threads/cores in task manager? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/52587-solved-fx-8150-6-threads-cores-task-manager.html)

CMetaphor March 20, 2012 05:12 PM

[Solved] FX-8150 - 6 threads/cores in task manager?

hey all, sorry this will be short but im exhausted as hell after a long couple days work.
nutshell : task manager, occt, speedfan - all show me FX-8150 as only have 6 threads.
however, device manager shows all 8 cores.

disabled anything i thought might cause this in bios, no change.

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV Formula, Bios 3027 (beta - might roll back a bios?)

Has anyone seen this? googling/thread searching isnt turning up much

edit: didnt reinstall windows since my 1090T. board says its supported for the past few bioses.... whats going on?

terrybear March 20, 2012 05:17 PM

Make shure to check in the bios that ALL cores are enabled. Sometimes they dont get fully enabled, did that myself when I went from 955 to my current 1090T .. eventualy it was the thing in the bios not allowing all cores to be enabled. Hope that helps. :)

CMetaphor March 20, 2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrybear (Post 612964)
Make shure to check in the bios that ALL cores are enabled. Sometimes they dont get fully enabled, did that myself when I went from 955 to my current 1090T .. eventualy it was the thing in the bios not allowing all cores to be enabled. Hope that helps. :)

in bios the "core disable" option has two settings, "auto" and "manual" but neither gives me any option to disable any core. and if i disabled them in bios, why would i see 8 cores in device manager?

CPU-Z reports the proper processor, frequency, etc, but 6 threads/cores, not 8.

edit: its called "aus core unlocker" and i set it to enabled, with the second option set as "auto". no change,.

CMetaphor March 20, 2012 05:41 PM

please help guys, before i pass out tonight...

im looking on crosshair iv formula forums and can see that other uers have gotten 3.9-4ghz on all 8 cores on the same board as me with the same bios, and 1.4xxx volts.

help? :blarg:

bios defaults = no change.

sswilson March 20, 2012 05:42 PM

Check to see if you've got "drivers" installed for the processor in device manager.... if you do, then delete the proc completely from DM and reboot to allow it to find the "new" proc. (Not guaranteed to work, but I've had to do this to upgrade from a quad core AMD to a hexa core.)

CMetaphor March 20, 2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 612973)
Check to see if you've got "drivers" installed for the processor in device manager.... if you do, then delete the proc completely from DM and reboot to allow it to find the "new" proc. (Not guaranteed to work, but I've had to do this to upgrade from a quad core AMD to a hexa core.)

No change :sad:

sswilson March 20, 2012 05:51 PM

Not sure what else to suggest other than trying a different HDD for a fresh install to see if that makes any difference.

CMetaphor March 20, 2012 06:13 PM

no time and too tired for a reinstall tonight... barely keeping my eyes open

found this: AMDZone.com • View topic - No Bulldozer?
seems to refer to the registry.... and my reg only has 0-5, no 6 or 7 in registry. perhaps i could add those entries forcibly?

another delete on the processors in device manager, this t ime from safe mode with a CCleaner registry sweep for the hell of it. restarted, all 8 installed, restarted again... still 6 threads :doh:

Lpfan4ever March 20, 2012 06:22 PM

It has to do with Windows, and having a 6 core processor installed before. (I've seen it happen in a couple threads on this site) I really don't want to say the only option was a reload, but I only honestly remember that fixing it.

HOWTO: Get Windows 7 to detect your new multi-core processor - Microsoft Answers

EDIT

Here it is:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...es-solved.html

CMetaphor March 21, 2012 04:04 AM

Ah ha! That looks like a genuine possibility! I did set 6 cores in my boot initial when I had the 1090t. Ill try that out tonight and report back, but it sounds promising.