Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2012, 01:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Server Motherboard Questions?

So I have a Gateway E-9520T server running Small Business Server 2003, Intel Xeon 5130 2 GHz processor (Woodcrest) socket 771 with 4 GB Ram. Right now it has a single processor but can support dual processors (except for the fact that they don't make them anymore). It has hot swap drive bays and dual hot swap power supplies. It is a nice rig.

It functions well, but there is part of me that wants to upgrade this thing, however looking inside it, it is vastly different than the clients I have been building (i3/i5/i7 and 1366/1156/1155 motherboards). I was hoping to swap out the motherboard, CPU and RAM, but I don't know enough to know if that would work.

Any experts out there who can pass on some knowledge on whether this is feasible and/or a smart idea? Here's some shots of the motherboard.
Attached Images

Old March 15, 2012, 01:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you sure it doesnt' have two procs? It looks like it's got two HSFs........

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old March 15, 2012, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yea thats got 2 procs in it forsure , based on heatsinks.....

Server hardware is a lot different than retail machines.It's almost always proprietary is some way.

Chances are that rig is probably 'not' worth upgrading (server BIOS' are super picky and not always upgradeable despite physical compatibilty)...You can prolly find lotsa CPU's online tho......

You'll need to take a heatsink off , find out exactly what procs are in it , and all the part numbers etc for all the hardware etc......you might find it *is* upgradeable.

GL !

Old March 15, 2012, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

[quote=BrainEater;611614]You'll need to take a heatsink off , find out exactly what procs are in it [quote]

Not necessarily : just install CPU Z, it will tell you what CPUs you have. You have the specs here Gateway Support - Specifications
You are lucky in the sense that you have a fully fledged x16 PCI Express slot even if only 8X electrical. You can install any GPU you like or want, and with expansion cards you can upgrade to Sata III and USB 3.0. If you want you can put faster CPUs if they are supported but check the user manual first to see what CPUs are supported and see also if any bios updates will get compatibility for other processors.
Old April 5, 2012, 10:36 PM
Rookie

I recently went through the same situation. I had/have a capable IBM server board and 2 X5460 socket LGA771 Xeons, and way too much ram. I was looking for a new case and an upgrade to the power supply and i realized pretty quickly that it was going to be very expensive. Because there is very little support for these machines and it is very tough to find parts. While looking into a new power supply, i realized that my mobo doesn't use a standard atx connection and that it didn't have a 20/24 pin power connection, instead it has some small 12 pin connection and a bunch of 4 and 6 pin connections.

My motherboard has a small chip that inserts into the top of it, apparently that chip allows the mobo to run dual processors, without it you can only run 1 cpu, you might want to look into whether or not your board works the same.

If you do decide to upgrade, i have 50+ gigs of DDR2 ECC ram and 3 pairs of xeons that i'm currently looking to unload.

Hopefully my info is helpful.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:05 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Hey Jibs,

I did a little more digging and I bought the thing in 2004. I don't have any real problems with it but I have been in the process of upgrading the clients and network in general. It does have 2 CPUs and only 4 GB of RAM. You are right about support in the sense that it is hard to find parts for these machines. I did pick up an extra hot swap power supply about a year ago just in case I ever need it. I have 4 x 150 GB drives in a RAID and they are about 20 GB from being full so I got 4 more 750 GB drives and got to figure out a way to either move some data to the second array or move everything to the second array. I kind of just decided to keep using what I had since it seemed like too much of a pain in the butt to start again with a new server.

how much you looking to get for your RAM? I'd have to check and see what I kind I need but I know the existing ones are 2GB DDR2?
Old April 6, 2012, 08:35 AM
Rookie

It sounds like you have a pretty solid setup, and I think you're right about not trying to restart with a new rig. You've got all the main components and some backups which will be helpful. Upgrading something will definitely be helpful. Sorry i can't offer any advice on moving the data in raid, i'm not very familiar with those configurations.